Time added on

Sure you haven't.
It's really simple - I'm not challenging your conclusion, I'm saying the data you used is wrong.

I've listened to the podcast. He's not from Opta, he just quoted some Opta stats about ball in play.

I assume he's on this forum, as it mentions "John from the City Reports Podcast", so maybe he can share how he worked it out. It may well be that he watched the end of all the matches, and did it accurately - I'd be interested to hear.

But just to reiterate - I am not saying your conclusion is correct or incorrect, I'm saying your data source was wrong, so any calculations you made from it are meaningless.

Here for example is the Spurs match - with the equaliser in the net before full time:

1709920494203.png

This is the first contribution you made to this thread
The 8 minutes today shows why this thread is pretty much meaningless.

Most of the games where we've had lots of time added on, were ones where we weren't ahead till late, so the opposition spent more of the game trying to waste time.

BTW what you said in the second paragraph is not correct (see post 215 on p22)

Then you said (post 218) is that one goal in the Chelsea game changed the conclusions completely.

Then in post 221 you said (in an edit) that you had looked at the four games where a goal was scored after 90 minutes.

So after three posts in which you challenged the conclusion that there was any variance between games where we are defending a narrow lead and ones where we are chasing the game, you decided to actually look at some raw evidence.

But you say you hadn’t already made up your mind?

If you say so.

This is the first contribution you made to this thread

BTW what you said in the second paragraph is not correct (see post 215 on p22)

Then you said (post 218) is that one goal in the Chelsea game changed the conclusions completely.

Then in post 221 you said (in an edit) that you had looked at the four games where a goal was scored after 90 minutes.

So after three posts in which you challenged the conclusion that there was any variance between games where we are defending a narrow lead and ones where we are chasing the game, you decided to actually look at some raw evidence.

But you say you hadn’t already made up your mind?

If you say so.

Let's just start by saying that nit picking is pointless because the data you're using was wrong. I've not been rude to you, or said that you've done anything deceitful, and I can understand why you used the Google data. I am sorry that it wasn't accurate enough for the purposes, and frankly I was quite surprised to see errors like the Spurs goal.

My first post was a general one about people complaining that our opponents got lots of injury time in games where up till we scored, plenty of people were praying for lots of injury time. I do believe that's true. As you replied in detail, I did then look at your data.

I first spotted that the huge difference was actually very minor. The 30% effect would disappear with one goal in one game. It's not an uncommon error - it's one I've seen before many times in reports, where something can appear statistically significant, but actually the effect is illusory, and disappears with a very minor change. I once worked with a charity which had introduced multiple new schemes because ethnic minorities were underrepresented amongst their clients by a massive 50%. I read the research, and that 50% shortfall amounted to 1 person from an ethnic minority instead of 2 being randomly selected for a survey during one month.

Up to this point I'm assuming you're using correct data. I apologise for not realising that you hadn't until I watched a little more of the Chelsea match. At which point, I realised the numbers in the actual match weren't the same as the ones you had used. If you think that I should have read your first post and assumed that the figures were wrong, then that's up to you - but I don't suspect you do.

So I thought I'd look at a handful of other matches, and discovered that the key matches which would have most effect on the stats were all recorded incorrectly. The effect of these errors were all contrary to your conclusions, so I thought you might be interested.

Honestly, I don't know why you're not interested in that, given you were interested enough to put together the first post, but if you'd rather argue the toss with me, that's fine :)

Time should be kept OFF THE FIELD and the stadium clock should show accurate time left. There should be no “injury time” as the clock should be stopped by the ref and then restarted by the whistle.

It works marvelously in the NFL & NBA, but because this is England, and football, then the Yank way must be bad!

There is so much riding on games now that an independent time keeper is warranted, so EVERYONE can see the actual stoppages and the refs can be held to a standard.

Just the amount of time wasted taking a free kick around the box and a corner now are ridiculous. It can take 2 minutes to take a free kick around the box, from whistling for the foul until whistling for it to be taken! And, don’t get me started on left back walking over to take right wing corners!!
Aye and a nominal 60 minutes match can take three hours to complete!

Let's just start by saying that nit picking is pointless because the data you're using was wrong. I've not been rude to you, or said that you've done anything deceitful, and I can understand why you used the Google data. I am sorry that it wasn't accurate enough for the purposes, and frankly I was quite surprised to see errors like the Spurs goal.

My first post was a general one about people complaining that our opponents got lots of injury time in games where up till we scored, plenty of people were praying for lots of injury time. I do believe that's true. As you replied in detail, I did then look at your data.

I first spotted that the huge difference was actually very minor. The 30% effect would disappear with one goal in one game. It's not an uncommon error - it's one I've seen before many times in reports, where something can appear statistically significant, but actually the effect is illusory, and disappears with a very minor change. I once worked with a charity which had introduced multiple new schemes because ethnic minorities were underrepresented amongst their clients by a massive 50%. I read the research, and that 50% shortfall amounted to 1 person from an ethnic minority instead of 2 being randomly selected for a survey during one month.

Up to this point I'm assuming you're using correct data. I apologise for not realising that you hadn't until I watched a little more of the Chelsea match. At which point, I realised the numbers in the actual match weren't the same as the ones you had used. If you think that I should have read your first post and assumed that the figures were wrong, then that's up to you - but I don't suspect you do.

So I thought I'd look at a handful of other matches, and discovered that the key matches which would have most effect on the stats were all recorded incorrectly. The effect of these errors were all contrary to your conclusions, so I thought you might be interested.

Honestly, I don't know why you're not interested in that, given you were interested enough to put together the first post, but if you'd rather argue the toss with me, that's fine :)

The way your first few posts come across is that you made an incorrect assumption about the number of games where we took the lead late on in the game, and when it was pointed out that you were wrong you doubled down on that and started trying to prove a case. If that wasn’t your intention, my bad. (But you must admit you were balls deep into your position before you actually looked at any data.)

Had your posts appeared the other way round I dare say I would have been more interested but as I say you came across as though you had started with your conclusions and worked backwards. I’m simply not interested in that. The reason I set out the raw data and the source material (including identifying issues I had not looked at) is so that anyone interested could check it for themselves, not so I could reject anything in the manner of a peer review out of hand. Since your first post was to say that the entire thread was a waste of time, forgive me for viewing your initial contributions as being less than wholly objective.

My main observation is that you seem to be assuming errors across the board on the part of the google data based on one instance where the explanation is probably as simple as the ball hitting the back of the net at 89:30 but the goal being awarded (or confirmed if you prefer) after the inevitable VAR check. I remember thinking at the time the goal wouldn’t stand because the Spurs player seemed at the time to come through the back of Ake so I suspect the check took at least 30 seconds. I have not checked any other sources (Sky/BBC/official PL data etc) to see if any time the goal at 89 minutes as you do. Perhaps you have, or will do.

More importantly, what is important is that you don’t mix and match your data. I have taken Google timekeeping as the starting point because their approach to any particular issue, eg whether the time of a goal is recorded as when the ball crosses the line or when it is awarded, is likely to have been adopted and applied consistently throughout the sample. If you start picking and choosing which bits of the raw data you will make adjustments to and which you won’t the analysis loses its integrity. You might as well make it up.

I would accept that in principle a small sample size means that outliers are more likely to skew the overall analysis, but an average taken across 15 games (the 16th on Sunday, incidentally, being entirely consistent with that analysis ) is not going to be affected that much by a single borderline case. Given that the methodology/raw data is replicated in relation to Liverpool’s results it is even more important to apply the same methodology consistently.

In any event, it’s evident that you haven’t actually calculated what difference the spurs game (or any other) would have made. However you know exactly how I arrived at the figures I did in the OP, so feel free to work out yourself how much difference it would have made if the Spurs score was recorded at 3-2 at 90 minutes and not 3-3. I doubt it would make a huge difference but by all means work the figures through if you disagree.

By the way, if you look back at some of your posts I think you will agree that some of them do come across as rude. I’m happy to accept that wasn’t your intention.

As i have said before until an independent time keeper is employed who stops the clock when the ball is out of play then the argument will be null and void because refs quite simply cannot be trusted to make fair and unbias decisions, the only way things will ever change is by being transparent and the fact is that will never happen as transparency will negate their ability to manipulate games and whether you are for or against var and refs you have to accept thats what they do.

By the way, if you look back at some of your posts I think you will agree that some of them do come across as rude. I’m happy to accept that wasn’t your intention.
I understand that it may come across as rude when I'm correcting something you've put together, but I repeatedly said that I wasn't suggesting that it was anything to do with your work - just the source you used.

My main observation is that you seem to be assuming errors across the board on the part of the google data based on one instance where the explanation is probably as simple as the ball hitting the back of the net at 89:30 but the goal being awarded (or confirmed if you prefer) after the inevitable VAR check.
Indeed. There wasn't actually a long VAR check, but it did take until 91.10 to kick off, which is then recorded in some places as a goal at 90+2 (as 91.10 is in the 92nd minute). That's no big deal normally, except that it makes the Google stats unsuitable for this analysis, because the whole point of the argument is that the ref signals less time when City need a goal. The match might not restart till 91.10 due to typical last minute goal celebrations, but when the extra time is signalled the goal has been given.

It's similar with the Newcastle match. The ref signals 3 minutes, and it's correct that City are actually behind at the 90 min mark. However, watch the match, and because City are attacking throughout the last minute, the extra time isn't signalled until the kick off after the goal.

If I had started this thread, I'd probably have used a similar source to Google, as it's easy to see all the games listed, and work it out quickly. But it turns out that the reality is different.

In any event, it’s evident that you haven’t actually calculated what difference the spurs game (or any other) would have made.
I did that yesterday - it's in bold in one of my posts that you replied to. Changing those four matches actually flipped the whole thing on it's head, but it's still statistically insignificant, despite the result suggesting referees favour City.

I'm happy to discuss how this analysis could do this in a more robust/accurate way, but I honestly don't think that even watching every match and recording to the second is enough. There are just too many variables to draw any accurate conclusions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.