Time to depart.

It's pretty obvious the world doesn't care about the weak. Especially in this narcissistic age.
I think it's admirable that Canada allows people a pain free exit from a life that renders you poor and the indignity and frankly severe mental health consequences that are often the result of it. How many people fling themselves in front of trains every week?
Having the ever ready option of a pain free exit would also make it easier to live I suspect.

Be very careful what you wish for..

The article is sensationalizing it a little with statements like "What it will not do is spend money to allow them to live instead of killing themselves".

It does direct a lot of money towards mental health, but is it enough or how much is enough is a debatable point?

The opening post to this thread was regarding a Canadian citizen.

There are proposals in front of parliament at present, but as it stands..........

As of March 17, 2021, persons who wish to receive MAID must meet the following eligibility criteria:
  • be 18 years of age or older and have decision-making capacity
  • be eligible for publicly funded health care services
  • make a voluntary request that is not the result of external pressure
  • give informed consent to receive MAID, meaning that the person has consented to receiving MAID after they have received all information needed to make this decision
  • have a serious and incurable illness, disease or disability (excluding a mental illness until March 17, 2024)
  • be in an advanced state of irreversible decline in capability
  • have enduring and intolerable physical or psychological suffering that cannot be alleviated under conditions the person considers acceptable.

I feel uneasy when mental health comes into the equation. I know people will find more unpleasant ways to end it all if they are determined enough, but I also feel it could be more open to abuse.

The article is sensationalizing it a little with statements like "What it will not do is spend money to allow them to live instead of killing themselves".

It does direct a lot of money towards mental health, but is it enough or how much is enough is a debatable point?

The opening post to this thread was regarding a Canadian citizen.

There are proposals in front of parliament at present, but as it stands..........

As of March 17, 2021, persons who wish to receive MAID must meet the following eligibility criteria:
  • be 18 years of age or older and have decision-making capacity
  • be eligible for publicly funded health care services
  • make a voluntary request that is not the result of external pressure
  • give informed consent to receive MAID, meaning that the person has consented to receiving MAID after they have received all information needed to make this decision
  • have a serious and incurable illness, disease or disability (excluding a mental illness until March 17, 2024)
  • be in an advanced state of irreversible decline in capability
  • have enduring and intolerable physical or psychological suffering that cannot be alleviated under conditions the person considers acceptable.

I feel uneasy when mental health comes into the equation. I know people will find more unpleasant ways to end it all if they are determined enough, but I also feel it could be more open to abuse.

I think there's been some questioning of some cases where people have been deemed eligible without seemingly meeting these criteria. With something like this there's the drafting of sound legislation and then there's ensuring the legislation is adhered to which I think is the much more challenging part. I share your unease when it comes to mental health. Given that as long as someone is deemed to have capacity to make the decision I think there is no obligation in MAID to inform family members, their gp or psychiatrist prior to the event? it seems significant additional safeguards would be required to stop ease of access to suicide not resulting in a significant unnecessary increase in them.

Ultimately I think to have confidence in assisted dying legislation you have to have confidence that you live in a society where all lives are equally valued so that you have the confidence it won't be abused as a cheaper alternative to doing the right thing. If you look at the UKs trends/track record in how it treats both the disabled and people with mental health issues I think we are a million miles away from being civilised enough to be trusted with legislation of this type over here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.