Timing in football (luck)

WNRH

As we enter the final 24 hours before England play their first final in 55 years, it has made me think about timing or luck that plays a huge part in football.

Whether it’s a young player getting his chance due to an injury or a manager who believes in him or whether is a favourable cup run that can change the fortunes of a player or manager under pressure as just two examples, Euro2020 becoming Euro2021 has helped Southgate immensely with his squad selection and ultimately his starting XI.

If this tournament had been played last year as it should, would Foden/Stones/Walker have been in the squad? Phil had yet the make his debut and the Yorkshire duo were out of favour being left out of squads along with Luke Shaw. Grealish didn’t make his debut until August 2020, Phillips September 2020, Saka October 2020. So four out of the starting XI and three impact players who have made an impression in this tournament were not involved at all.

The last game before Covid included starts for Oxlade-Chamberlain, Hudson-Odoi, Winks and the game before that had Barkley and Keane.

Is there any other examples of timing in football that has changed that player, manager or clubs fortunes based on a moment that has been forced on them?

Well watching 66 World Cup final was a reminder that Hurst was only there because Greaves was injured v France, Hurst came in scored v Argentina and Ramsey stuck with him in the semi and final. Greaves wasn't at all bitter ...

I don't know that its always about luck - more someone taking an opportunity when presented to them. That is what the young England players have had the chance to do this year - and they have taken it. Southgate has benefitted - but he has also grasped that opportunity rather than sticking with the players who qualified - that in itself might be lucky management - but then Napoleon once said I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.