To all the faraway fans like me who never made it...

BongoBlue

Team supported
City of course
in no particular order:

to York away,
To the hill outside Ewood,
To Bradford,
To Charlton at home for the 5-1;
And the easier game against United for that lovely 5-1,
To Lincoln, Halifax, Shrewsbury or Bury,
To Stoke for the ultimate relegation;
to Macclesfield for the start of the turnaround;
to being part of the 3007;
to the Full Members Cup the day after a damn derby,
or at the '81 replay on the Thursday after the first match and you fans had to leg it down to Wembley again while the Spurs fans just had to hop the tube;
to see and applaud Big Mal running across the pitch for his second coming that ended so badly, (a couple of years later with another manager running across the pitch in the most stupid pair of shoes ever manufactured; and at least Mal had some rhythm...;)
to be there to yell "Swales Out!"
to see the magic of Kinky and Deyna in the flesh;
to see Imre "Banana" and Paul Stewart tearing Forest a new one and thinking that a new day was dawning, then it was ripped away again...
to see the incomparable triumvirate of Bell, Lee and Summerbee...(Brutus, Cassius and Cicero);
to see Law's backheel in the flesh...;
to see Benarbia and Berkovic in that all too brief period where Keegan was God on Earth...;
and the Goat scoring with his arse and his elbow - and twice in 2003, one courtesy of TV's greatest pundit, Gazz Neville,
and Dickov blooming in the spring like the crocus that he was;
and Andy Morrison giving us the attitude that was needed to rise from the depths;
and unsung heroes like Richard Jobson, Steve Howey and Gerard Wiekens;
to Wembley 2011 for United and Stoke when we finally believed again;
to that unforgettable day in May 2012;
or the possibly even more unforgettable day in May 1999 when we were mere moments from oblivion - where I cried like a baby in front of my bemused children because I knew what it meant, and laughed like a hyena at Nicky Weaver's mad run around Wembley, and then promptly cried again;
to the last match at Maine Road where only City could lose it;
to see Stuart Pearce sky a penalty that is probably still in orbit and the usually deadly Robbie Fowler miss the chance to send us to Europe;
to see enough to think that Stevie Ireland, Willo Flood and (Call me) Ishmael Miller were our shining future; well they looked good on TV for a very short time; but Stevie, man that boy had talent...
to see Robinho; that talented and funky little bastard whose arrival promised so damn much and who started off so well and who worked so well with the aforementioned Stevie Ireland - for one year and one year only;
to see Dragoslav Stepanovic, Aage Hareide and Alfie Haaland;
to the Etihad on May 11, 2014, when we WILL win our second Premiership in 3 years over the Hammers and put an end to the media wankfest over Liverpool once and for all.

Sorry; I know it's a bit RAWK-ish.

And I have indeed seen City a few times over the years and eras. So I haven't missed everything. But I have missed a lot - hence a few examples above. I have still sweated blue over many decades and will again tomorrow. From scratchy radios, to occasional TV coverage back in Ireland to the present blanket coverage, I have been there. It never changes; the love never dies.

We will prevail tomorrow; I am sure of it. And we will celebrate as we damn well should.

Anyone know a place I can download the match as soon as possible after its happened?

BongoBlue said:
in no particular order:

to York away,
To Bradford,
or at the '81 replay on the Thursday after the first match and you fans had to leg it down to Wembley again while the Spurs fans just had to hop the tube;
to see and applaud Big Mal running across the pitch for his second coming that ended so badly, (a couple of years later with another manager running across the pitch in the most stupid pair of shoes ever manufactured; and at least Mal had some rhythm...;)
to see Imre "Banana" and Paul Stewart tearing Forest a new one and thinking that a new day was dawning, then it was ripped away again...
to see the incomparable triumvirate of Bell, Lee and Summerbee...(Brutus, Cassius and Cicero);
to see Benarbia and Berkovic in that all too brief period where Keegan was God on Earth...;
and the Goat scoring with his arse and his elbow - and twice in 2003, one courtesy of TV's greatest pundit, Gazz Neville,
and Andy Morrison giving us the attitude that was needed to rise from the depths;
or the possibly even more unforgettable day in May 1999 when we were mere moments from oblivion - where I cried like a baby in front of my bemused children because I knew what it meant, and laughed like a hyena at Nicky Weaver's mad run around Wembley, and then promptly cried again;
to see Stuart Pearce sky a penalty that is probably still in orbit and the usually deadly Robbie Fowler miss the chance to send us to Europe;
to see enough to think that Stevie Ireland, Willo Flood and (Call me) Ishmael Miller were our shining future; well they looked good on TV for a very short time; but Stevie, man that boy had talent...
to see Robinho; that talented and funky little bastard whose arrival promised so damn much and who started off so well and who worked so well with the aforementioned Stevie Ireland - for one year and one year only;
to the Etihad on May 11, 2014, when we WILL win our second Premiership in 3 years over the Hammers and put an end to the media wankfest over Liverpool once and for all.

And I have indeed seen City a few times over the years and eras. So I haven't missed everything. But I have missed a lot - hence a few examples above. I have still sweated blue over many decades and will again tomorrow. From scratchy radios, to occasional TV coverage back in Ireland to the present blanket coverage, I have been there. It never changes; the love never dies.

We will prevail tomorrow; I am sure of it. And we will celebrate as we damn well should.

good shout sir

Great post.

Bloody hell there are some memories in there.

To anyone watching or listening around the world I salute you, give you my thanks and assure you that I will spare you all a thought when I am sat in 322 bawling like a baby at 16:45 (ish)

Enjoy your day wherever you are

I'm leaving in 5 mins for some pre match ale then off to the game. Nerves are building.

For all you guys and girls around the world who can't make it, you'll be there with us in spirit and I'll sing my heart out for every single one of you.

BongoBlue said:
in no particular order:

to York away,
To Bradford,

Good one Bongo!

Wow!!!!!
BlueAnorak said:
BongoBlue said:
in no particular order:

to York away,
To Bradford,

Good one Bongo!

pee dubya said:
Anyone know a place I can download the match as soon as possible after its happened?
If you can wait til the next day, it'll be in the matchday thread. And TCIB usually has torrents available for every match, but you may need to be patient. It's unlikely to appear within a couple of hours of the final whistle.

Great post Bongo, I'm across the pond these days but I was lucky enough to have some great days with the blues before I left. All you who are there today sing your hearts out for all of us who cant!

Great post, I totally know what you mean. I have lived every minute of the last 44 years I have been following City, the first 27 down South, the last 17 whilst in Australia. The distance has never detracted from the feeling, I am absolutely sh*tting myself here, 10.20pm, an hour and forty minutes before kick off. I will watch the game until past 3am, even though I am up at 5am for work tomorrow. The Aussies really don't get this!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.