Today’s Rugby Union

Get in there Ireland

Crazy some of the players are still young doing it in New Zealand just shows the job that the management have done. We still need to kick on good luck to all of the other teams today let this be a domino effect. Its strange Irish rugby has done a great job at grassroots levels if only our football team would do the same.

No rugby union looks after its players better than Ireland. They don't over play them have a clear rotation strategy and don't have all the hangers on that England has, well done.

Smith was brave as a lion but not a match for the Aussie big hitters. We have to play though more phases so we don’t ha d over the majority of possession

He tries and I'm not criticising effort, but he's been targeted by the big ball carriers because they know he can't bring them down. Sexton was the same in the early part of his career and he's improved immensely.

Smith is mercurial and fantastic at reading what's in front of him - but England don't play to his strengths & pretty much stick the 7 on his shoulder in defence. At Quins he has Esterhuizen for the crash ball and neither Farrell or Porter are that option.

Well, JVP was instrumental in the Steward try so fair enough but it's a bad look for a coach.

He needs to either play to Smith's strengths or take him off - massive liability in defence

100% agree, its not the try he scored, its the lack of defence, the lack of taking the opposition on, its the poor mobility around the pitch. Is he his secret love child?

He tries and I'm not criticising effort, but he's been targeted by the big ball carriers because they know he can't bring them down. Sexton was the same in the early part of his career and he's improved immensely.

Smith is mercurial and fantastic at reading what's in front of him - but England don't play to his strengths & pretty much stick the 7 on his shoulder in defence. At Quins he has Esterhuizen for the crash ball and neither Farrell or Porter are that option.

Disagree, he's bang average(if we decide average is still a million times better than I've ever been), if he was JW, or DC good there wouldn't be a problem, but he isn't and never will be.

Good comments. One trick I watched the Leeds rhinos perfect in RL during their golden period was have Rob Burrow defend just in front of the rest of the defensive line so the cover could get across before the gain line was broken. You still get some mismatches of course.

FWIW I was sat next to Smith and his family when we won the League at Brighton a few years ago. Nice people and I was tolerated in the Brighton end.

Disagree, he's bang average(if we decide average is still a million times better than I've ever been), if he was JW, or DC good there wouldn't be a problem, but he isn't and never will be.
Saying Smith is bang average is ridiculous wumming. Would you say the same if Phil Bennet was playing in the current era.

Smith scored a pivotal try and it’s always enjoyable to beat the Aussies. Yes our defence was crucial but we need more players with good handling skills like Smith in the side. Not replacing Smith with a water carrier.

Last edited:

I think he looks average for England but amazing for Quins. I don't think he'll ever be like Ford and Farrell in controlling a game, but he can open up defences with ball in hand and is better than both in that regard. Problem is, England set up to play for Farrell & Ford

Saying Smith is bang average is ridiculous wumming. Would you say the same if Phil Bennet was playing in the current era.

Smith scored a pivotal try and it’s always enjoyable to beat the Aussies. Yes our defence was crucial but we need more players with good handling skills like Smith in the side. Not replacing Amith with a water carrier.
Brilliant result.
Great game by England. Thought Smith was pretty awesome personally. He certainly has great handling skills.
I'm on a high it's great to beat the Wallabies.

I was a bit skeptical about Lawes in the back row, as I prefer to play people in their positions, but he's been a breakdown monster & additional target man. He's helped by having a dominant ball carrier at 8 but he's had a great series.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.