Tommy Caton

Who doesn’t remember Caton when you lived through the late 70-ies/early 80-ies. I do. Great prospect and defender.

Passed away way too early.

Fond memories meeting him on a charity night at the Maine Rd social club, a few nights before the 81 cup final. Also met Steve McKenzie who was totally wasted on the night.
Tommy Caton was a great player from the moment he first played for City's 1st team. What a sad loss he was, and at such a young age. Mind you, he liked a drink - I remember a night at Bredbury Hall when the entire City team were on a night out for some reason. I was having a drink at the bar stood next to Joe Corrigan and Tommy came staggering past, literally legless. I recall Big Joe saying he had to "go and get young Tommy Caton home". I think that Tommy had been drinking with the big boys that night !

in my opinion, and i liked Tommy very much, i think it was a step up too soon. Most of the best centre halfs are mid 20's plus, you need experience. If he would have stayed with us, i think he would have improved even further, and probably moved on anyway. RIP Tommy.

Had a tremendous first season at the age of only 16 (I think he may have won player of the season), playing every game I recall. Would have formed a great long term centre back partnership with Nicky Reid had John Bond not brought in his son. Made a bad career move to Arsenal and the rest is history. As 1978 said, he had a great shot on him and was unlucky not to score more (had a habit of hitting the woodwork).
Have only good memories of him.

RIP Big Man
Yes agree. I loved that Caton-Reid partnership. Young City la
Had a tremendous first season at the age of only 16 (I think he may have won player of the season), playing every game I recall. Would have formed a great long term centre back partnership with Nicky Reid had John Bond not brought in his son. Made a bad career move to Arsenal and the rest is history. As 1978 said, he had a great shot on him and was unlucky not to score more (had a habit of hitting the woodwork).
Have only good memories of him.

RIP Big Man
Really liked that Caton-Reid partnership and agree it was a shame Kevin Bond came in to disrupt it. RIP Tommy

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.