Tommy Hutchison book

Tommy has kindly been asked to be a guest of the club at the FA Cup tie against Arsenal next Friday. Appropriate considering his exploits in 1981 that the game is in the cup and the opponents are from North London.

I will post the schedule for the day next week when I know it myself.

Suffice to say that anyone who would like a signed copy of Tommy’s autobiography Hutch Hard Work and Belief will be able to buy one, price £20. The book contains several chapters on City and in particular their epic journey to the Centenary Cup Final.

Tommy is a very down to earth chap and really appreciates people taking the time and trouble to come and speak to him. If you see him on Friday, come over and say hello.

Anyone who won’t be at the game can still have a signed copy of the book delivered to their door by using the form at the link below.

During Tommy's years at Coventry, the only serious relegation battle we were in was the one you mention. I would disagree with some of the things that you state as facts. Firstly the game was delayed by a few minutes but that was on the instructions of the referee given because of advice he had from the police. Sensible too when you think of what happened at Hilsborough a few years later. There were thousands of Bristol City fans at that game and at KO time many of them were outside still trying to get in.
You're right in saying that Hill had the Goodison result flashed onto the screen but the players by then knew the result and had downed tools already (See Terry Yorath"s book which details what happened).
It is amazing how a story can be distorted to suit people''s perceptions.
I was at that game and saw Hutch score twice to seemingly have us safe. Bristol City hit back almost straight away to reduce the deficit and then scored again with about ten minutes to go. I think one of their goals came from Gerry Gow. Coventry were on their knees at that stage. However the 'truce' that was called was as much to do with Bristol as it was with us and really nothing to do with Hill. It was poor from both teams but Bristol seem to have got off scot free. The game should have been competitive to the end, the fact that it wasn't was down to the 22 guys on the pitch.
Not that it excuses what went on, but the actual pass the ball sideways and back bit was only the last 5 minutes.
It has to be remembered that Sunderland had it in their own hands to stay up that night. A draw at Everton would have seen them safe. It was that performance and their results over the season that saw them down, not the last 5 minutes at Highfield Road.
We played Sunderland many times over the intervening years with never a mention of that game. It has only become a 'thing' fairly recently kept going by people who weren't born when the match took place, a chance for some faux anger it seems to me.
It would be interesting to know what the other reasons are that you dislike us?
Only one reason I dislike Coventry City, they broke my 10-11 year old heart by taking my very first favourite Blue, David Phillips, then added insult to injury by sending us Perry Suckling!

Good? They fought relegation after relationship every bloody year.
And escaped the drop in 77 or 78 by cheating Sunderland who went down instead.

It was a Thursday night end of season and either Cov / Bristol City or Sunderland could go down and were all on the same points - only Cov and Bristol City played each other and Sundeland were at Goodison Park.

Jimmy Hill got Cov's game delayed saying crowds were still outside trying to get in so it kicked off 15 mins later than Sunderland.
When the game at Goodison was over, Hill instructed the scoreboard operator to flash up that Sunderland had lost 2-0.
Cov and Bristol City were at 2-2 so both safe and for the remaining 12 or so mins the game was a sham. Neither side going forward or backwards with no challenges or attempts to get the ball. A disgrace.
Just another reason to dislike that club.
The Highfield Road stewards made the West Midlands Police look positively friendly.

Tommy has kindly been asked to be a guest of the club at the FA Cup tie against Arsenal next Friday. Appropriate considering his exploits in 1981 that the game is in the cup and the opponents are from North London.

I will post the schedule for the day next week when I know it myself.

Suffice to say that anyone who would like a signed copy of Tommy’s autobiography Hutch Hard Work and Belief will be able to buy one, price £20. The book contains several chapters on City and in particular their epic journey to the Centenary Cup Final.

Tommy is a very down to earth chap and really appreciates people taking the time and trouble to come and speak to him. If you see him on Friday, come over and say hello.

Anyone who won’t be at the game can still have a signed copy of the book delivered to their door by using the form at the link below.

Not accepting

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.