Tony Book

As a player, he was one of those solid, dependable people all teams need. A bit like Kompany today. They just get on with the job and you take them for granted.

He always ran with a sort of hunched back gait, which made him instantly recognisable, and although he was not the fastest man on the planet, he could read the game well so he did'nt need to be super fast.

I also think he was the best manager City ever had. I know we think about Mercer and Allison as the all time greats because of the pots they won, and I'm not taking anything away from that, but in terms of consistency, of finishing towards the top of the league, he has no equal.

City pushed Liverpool to the limit one year when Book was in charge and Liverpool were European Champions. He assembled the most consistent team in our history. It may have only lasted for three years or so, but in terms of consistency, in my humble opinion, he wins hands down.

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
As a player, he was one of those solid, dependable people all teams need. A bit like Kompany today. They just get on with the job and you take them for granted.

He always ran with a sort of hunched back gait, which made him instantly recognisable, and although he was not the fastest man on the planet, he could read the game well so he did'nt need to be super fast.

I also think he was the best manager City ever had. I know we think about Mercer and Allison as the all time greats because of the pots they won, and I'm not taking anything away from that, but in terms of consistency, of finishing towards the top of the league, he has no equal.

City pushed Liverpool to the limit one year when Book was in charge and Liverpool were European Champions. He assembled the most consistent team in our history. It may have only lasted for three years or so, but in terms of consistency, in my humble opinion, he wins hands down.

God almighty where did that lot come from, was a reasonable player, no more, piss poor manager in every way, probably not even close to getting in the top 20 managers we've had, was very fortunate to be carried along by a fantastic group of players and got far more recognition than his ability every warranted.

He is undoubtedly a decent bloke and fair play to him for achieving what he did without being great at anything in particular, but don't big him up as though he was some kind of Bobby Moore or something.

Too many people get massive notoriety in football for their seeming loyalty to their Clubs, when if the truth be known, it is due to nothing more than their being at the Club for years and years, appearing to be almost Ambassador like, but seriously it has far more to do with them being incapable of working anywhere outside football and being a kind of hanger on. Book certainly fullfilled this role and didn't achieve in over 30 years at the Club, what Buzzer has done in 2.

tin hat on, but sometimes an accurate picture needs to be painted.

Lordeffingham said:
Fowlers Penalty Miss said:

God almighty where did that lot come from, was a reasonable player, no more, piss poor manager in every way, probably not even close to getting in the top 20 managers we've had, was very fortunate to be carried along by a fantastic group of players and got far more recognition than his ability every warranted.

He is undoubtedly a decent bloke and fair play to him for achieving what he did without being great at anything in particular, but don't big him up as though he was some kind of Bobby Moore or something.

Too many people get massive notoriety in football for their seeming loyalty to their Clubs, when if the truth be known, it is due to nothing more than their being at the Club for years and years, appearing to be almost Ambassador like, but seriously it has far more to do with them being incapable of working anywhere outside football and being a kind of hanger on. Book certainly fullfilled this role and didn't achieve in over 30 years at the Club, what Buzzer has done in 2.

tin hat on, but sometimes an accurate picture needs to be painted.
Piss poor manager? What a shit statement.

Listen not particularly trying to put Book down, but he was a Swales man through and through, and was in the main carried along by a set of players throughout his career as both player and manager, but thanks for the well constructed and reasoned reply.

He was a solid player and some would argue a great servant to the Club, but not a true great in my opinion.

Lordeffingham said:

Listen not particularly trying to put Book down, but he was a Swales man through and through, and was in the main carried along by a set of players throughout his career as both player and manager, but thanks for the well constructed and reasoned reply.

He was a solid player and some would argue a great servant to the Club, but not a true great in my opinion.
The fact that Swales was the chairman made his acheivements even better. Won a trophy and 2nd and 4th in the league. As the OP stated we ran Liverpool (European Champions) very close in the league. Why do you say he was carried by the players when he was manager?

Ignore the negative comments, Tony Book was an excellent player either that or Mercer, Allison and anyone who voted him Footballer of the year in 69 were idiots! As a manager I totally agree he was one of our best and had a common sense approach to management. Very unlucky to lose Colin Bell to injury otherwise we would have won the title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.