Tony Book

A great player who I think deserved to be joint footballer of the year (69) he is a true gentleman and club legend. He was a rock hard defender and a good manager

didn't george best once say he was the only player he couldn't get past?

could be wrong, but i swear i heard that.

Lordeffingham said:
Piss poor manager? What a shit statement.

Listen not particularly trying to put Book down, but he was a Swales man through and through, and was in the main carried along by a set of players throughout his career as both player and manager, but thanks for the well constructed and reasoned reply.

He was a solid player and some would argue a great servant to the Club, but not a true great in my opinion.

Spot on imho.
He was no great, but he was above average in every department, and very very consistent. Him and Pardoe on the left, then Donachie, as full backs were very solid.
Donachie was superb at attacking down the left. Book generally just fed whoever was in front of him - and as that was either Doyle, Bell, Lee or Summerbee, the right hand side was pretty formidable back then.
Aaahhh - happy days............

Palerider said:
Ignore the negative comments, Tony Book was an excellent player either that or Mercer, Allison and anyone who voted him Footballer of the year in 69 were idiots! As a manager I totally agree he was one of our best and had a common sense approach to management. Very unlucky to lose Colin Bell to injury otherwise we would have won the title.

This^

Tony Book was very underrated as a player, he was very much an unsung hero of the 67/68 championship winning side.

An ex bricklayer who signed from Bath City I seem to recall.

Book was in his late twentys when he signed for City, and was never blessed with great pace, but was a good reader of the game and a solid. reliable performer.

He was a decent manager imo, but never a truely great one, but as one poster stated...if we had not lost Coiln Bell (now there was a player!!) would almost certainly have gone on to win the league and possibly more!!

Gingers Dad said:
Lordeffingham said:
Listen not particularly trying to put Book down, but he was a Swales man through and through, and was in the main carried along by a set of players throughout his career as both player and manager, but thanks for the well constructed and reasoned reply.

He was a solid player and some would argue a great servant to the Club, but not a true great in my opinion.
The fact that Swales was the chairman made his acheivements even better. Won a trophy and 2nd and 4th in the league. As the OP stated we ran Liverpool (European Champions) very close in the league. Why do you say he was carried by the players when he was manager?

and it was Swales who sacked him, or should I say, relieved Book of his managerial duties

AS a player solid and dependable and knew how to defend
AS a manager consistent honest and did quite well
AS a person dignified and a true gent
AS a blue think it runs through his veins
........could teach a few players and managers nowadays all about loyalty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.