Tony Coton

hrgiger said:
I don't think he went straight to Salford Athletic.Peter Reid took him to Sunderland.Injury forced him into retirement where he started coaching.

He chose to go there twice, the first time straight there.

The 1991 friendlies (in Russia etc I think) it was said in a paper that he would only go if he was #1, and therefore did not get picked. Nigel Martyn ended up having a shocker too.

Corky said:
hrgiger said:
I don't think he went straight to Salford Athletic.Peter Reid took him to Sunderland.Injury forced him into retirement where he started coaching.

He chose to go there twice, the first time straight there.

The 1991 friendlies (in Russia etc I think) it was said in a paper that he would only go if he was #1, and therefore did not get picked. Nigel Martyn ended up having a shocker too.

Yes, he did CHOOSE to go there twice, but why not? By all accounts (and as much as it grieves me) those lot treated him well, so he's bound to go back to that. Can't blame the guy after the way Ball fired him off.

He was under contract at City, he would have got paid whatever, waited round until Ball got the boot then jobs a goodun.

Corky said:
He was under contract at City, he would have got paid whatever, waited round until Ball got the boot then jobs a goodun.

What and play second fiddle to Eike Immel? Fair enough he still had to be number 2 to Schmeichel but I think we both know that wouldn't be as degrading.

Ball made it clear TCs services were not required, he's not going to stay where he's not wanted is he?

blue_bird said:
Corky said:

What and play second fiddle to Eike Immel? Fair enough he still had to be number 2 to Schmeichel but I think we both know that wouldn't be as degrading.

Ball made it clear TCs services were not required, he's not going to stay where he's not wanted is he?
Kick their arses Nikki, there's no bigger love than yours for TC.

There is no doubt he was badly treated by Ball. He was a very good keeper and it was a great surprise when Immel was brought in as no.1.

Met him on holiday a few years ago and was a decent lad. Has great respect for City fans, had a kick about with my lads and signed their shirts. Saw him in a couple of bars later in the holiday and he always went out of his way to let on and chat.

Top top goalkeeper TC-best weve for a long long time.

Ive read that recent interview aswell-he got fucked over by Francis lee bigtime
A job was a job for a footballer in the 90's not like now where even shit footballers can retire like Danny Mills.

class keeper and even ferguson said it was a crime he wasnt englands goalkeeper

Englands englands number one.

Was my hero growing up, the reason I wanted to be the idiot who played in goal every game. Hurt so much when he left, especially to go to them, but he was such a good keeper for us that can't hold it against him too much, although things would be much simpler if he'd just chosen a half decent club instead of those moaning spoilt muppets. No idea what went on behind the scenes and I'd prefer just to remember him as the fantastic keeper he was for us.

I met TC at a goalkeeping coaching day in Ardwick just after he left City. Really nice guy, great respect for city fans as everyone has said.

His words were 'There is only one way City are going under those two and it isn't good.' Clearly didn't have any time for Ball and Franny.

Who can say he wasn't right?

flb said:
Ive read that recent interview aswell-he got fucked over by Francis lee bigtime

I dunno how true it is but I heard that Franny lee was reading the racing post or something and called Coton in to his office to tell him that he was being sold to the rags.

I was bladdered at a do a couple of years back and Coton was there. I just asked him why he left City (crap question he's probly been asked a million times but you say daft shit to famous people while your drunk don't you) and he just said that, well I won't say what he said but it was short and to the point and wasn't very complimentary of francis less let's put it that way!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.