Tony Coton

He was the best goalkeeper City had since Joe Corrigan. Like Big Joe, he should have had a shit load of England caps!

One of the things I remember most about TC, was the first game of a new season, can’t remember which, but it was the season the new rule about keepers not being able to pick the ball up from a pass back came in. Someone got injured and the ref stopped the game. After the player got treatment, there was an uncontested drop ball, with whichever City player it was, passing the ball back to TC, who promptly picked the ball , forgetting about the new rule, but then suddenly realising his mistake. Thankfully the referee , who clearly saw the offence, turned a blind eye to it and waved play on…….can’t imagine a ref doing that sort of thing in this day and age.

I'm sure I remember him chucking his gloves in the ref's face after he was sent off in the 'Niall Quinn' game against Derby? If he did that nowadays he'd be banned for 20 games.
Also remember a game away at QPR when Ferdinand dived to try and get one of our men sent off. The ref blew for a foul and as he was rolling about on the turf, Coton ran up and leather the ball full blast against his back. Ferdinand turned round and started to get up to complain to Coton, then realised he was pretending to be injured and fell back down holding his leg.
A top keeper and a hard, hard bloke who was treated despicably and badly let down by the regime in charge of the club at the time

I thought Tony Coton was top class keeper for City.Worst mistake Ball did was replace him with Immel.

LongsightM13 said:
baildon blue said:
I thought Tony Coton was top class keeper for City.Worst mistake Ball did was replace him with Immel.
It was like replacing a Mercedes with a Reliant Robin
Agreed but i think Reliant Robin would have been a better keeper than Immel

baildon blue said:
LongsightM13 said:
baildon blue said:
It was like replacing a Mercedes with a Reliant Robin
Agreed but i think Reliant Robin would have been a better keeper than Immel
The worst mistake was getting rid of Horton and replacing him with Ball we might not have challenged for anything but the players believed in Horton as much as we might lose a game 4-0 we'd win the next by the same score. Coton was outstanding for us but as regards the OP it's Hart by a mile his all round game is better.

Have to agree coton was a good keeper but joe is a great keeper and his the chance and ability to write himself in city history as a true legend.

Coton was a great shot stopper but loved to give a penalty away, as a forward as you had to do was try and go round him and he flatten them!

Another victim of the criminal ball regime, replaced with crap.

As for hart can't believe the d**k hughes thought it was a great idea to replace joe with shay given, what a stupid decision that was. Still he's showing what a class manager he is down at qpr!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.