Tony Coton

The Birmingham City 6, I believe they were a lively bunch.
TC was a quality keeper, although it took him a while to win the fans over as he replaced Dibble who was quite popular at that time.
TC should definitely have been capped by England, Ive heard the tale of the clause in his transfer which would have triggered a payment to Watford if he was.

Only thing I remember was he had a purple Ford Mondeo with "Tony Coton" on the back.

Platt Lane memories

Forget Wimbledon and Vinny Jones.

Coton was part of arguably the hardest, maddest team in football history, when he played for Birmingham in the mid 1980s.

Mick Hartford and Noel Blake were two of the more "sensible" characters.
Yeah, they had a bit of a reputation, that lot. Along with the 3 you've mentioned, there was Robert Hopkins, Howard Gayle andPat Van Den Hauwe.

Great Keeper

Remember him at Watford when we went there lost 0-1 but still he had the game of his life,He Stopped Everything we threw at him
Then at City just Superb
And also for throwing his gloves at The Ref v Deby at MR When he got sent off

Great Keeper

Remember him at Watford when we went there lost 0-1 but still he had the game of his life,He Stopped Everything we threw at him
Was just about to post the same. The game was 1989. Absolutely battered them but lost 1-0 due to Cotton having a blinder.

Remember it more for the awful train journey home as the power had been shut off due to a nearby accident so never left Watford until half 8 getting home at 1am. As a 14 year old who sneaked to plenty of away games this was the day my parents caught me out.

Doesn't the story go that had he played for England, city would have had to pay more money to Watford. Peter Swales being on the FA board made sure that never happened!

It is true about Swales abusing his influence at the FA to stop Coton getting a cap that would trigger a fee. Peter Swales had a lot to answer for. Some say Peter Swales loved City. That may well be the case. He loved himself more. If he truly loved City he would have gone years before he was forced out.

As for Coton going to United, the way first Swales, then Francis Lee and Alan Ball treated him, I can forgive him that. Not that I was happy at the time.

How good was Coton? He is the best all round keeper that I have seen in 40 years. Shotstopping, crosses reflexes, command of his box, kicking - all excellent. Better with his feet than people might think though not as good as Eddie in that regard (who is?). Even if a one on one was in the forward's favour he'd often still win it. Probably because he had a reputation (fairly or unfairly) as a nutter!

He served us well in a very good side.

I thoroughly recommend his book "There to be Shot At" which he did with excellent writer and City fan, Simon Mullock. It's a very good read, and well above the average footballer's autobiography.

Last edited:
It is true about Swales abusing his influence at the FA to stop Coton getting a cap that would trigger a fee. Peter Swales had a lot to answer for. Some say Peter Swales loved City. That may well be the case. He loved himself more. If he truly loved City he would have gone years before he was forced out.

As for Coton going to United, the way first Swales, then Francis Lee and Alan Ball treated him, I can forgive him that. Not that I was happy at the time.

How good was Coton? He is the best all round keeper that I have seen in 40 years. Shotstopping, crosses reflexes, command of his box, kicking - all excellent. Better with his feet than people might think though not as good as Eddie in that regard (who is?). Even if a one on one was in the forward's favour he'd often still win it. Probably because he had a reputation (fairly or unfairly) as a nutter!

He served us well in a very good side.

I thoroughly recommend his book "There to be Shot At" which he did with excellent writer and City fan, Simon Mullock. It's a very good read, and well above the average footballer's autobiography.
Agree with your opinion of him as a keeper, probably the best I've seen at City too, absolute class.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.