Transition season excuse

1.Injuries, bad and small. Players who have missed games through injury apart form Laporte and Sane: Ederson, Stones, Mendy, Zinchenko, Rodri, Kevin, Jesus, Aguero, Dave...That's a lot. No team in the history of football can maintain its level with so many inuries.

2. VAR/referees: this is not a negligible factor. "Small" things might have big effects.

3. Aging legends. Self-explanatory. Kompany, Dinho, Dave and Sergio were the heart of the team. Their legs are gone/going though.

4. Tiredness from the last 2 seasons. To win 7 from the last 8 trophies on offer and 198 pts over the last 2 seasons is something unseen and won't be repeated. Manager and players are only human.

FOUR reasons why we have suffered, not just one. And they have hit us simultaneously. If it was only 1 or 2, we would still be with a shout to win the league.

If it is an excuse it's a poor one. With the level of succession planning that you'd expect an organisation of City's magnitude to have in place it's pretty average work somewhere within the club to allow such a steep decline. Some things were obvious even to us fans during the summer;
We were a centre back down after Komps left.
Otamendi was not reliable enough at the top level.
Fernandinho and David Silva are in decline.
Angelino was a cheapskate option and never good enough.
Mendy cannot be relied on because of injuries.

None of those issues were addressed. Now we'll need a major overhaul in summer, which will be more difficult if we're not in the CL next season - a very real possibility unless our form drastically improves.

Player prices increase every transfer window, other big clubs aren't averse to spending £90-£100m plus on one player and to stay at that level we need to stop penny pinching and fucking get some real business done. If not, our time as top dog is done and we'll be battling for 4th while Liverpool and Chelsea battle for the title.

I really feel we have never fully taken advantage of our financial position and having the world's best manager. We never quite seemed to sign the very best players available and now we're paying for that.

It's looking more and more likely that Liverpool will break that record

They have to win 102 pts to do it. Still a tall task despite their start. They are repeating our start from the 17/18 season. We won 55 from 57 points. But then we won "only" 45 pts from the next 19 games. So, I wouldn't say it looks "more and more likely". Too early for that.

However, what I meant when I wrote that our success won't be repeated is winning 198 points while winning 7 from 8 domestic trophies on offer. 198 pts plus 7 trophies is something altogether different. Liverpool haven't reached a 1/4 final in the domestic cups over the last 2 years.

We aint aloud a Transition we aint the history clubs who can go years and years without titles. Pep said he might go easier on them this season and with him keep saying next season will different seems could be true. Think when we play in champs league that extra effort will be there we going all out for champs league and win that all our players and manager be up for all awards!

It is almost impossible to maintain the levels we have reached in the last two seasons, but the drop off this season is worrying.

Tixi needs to sit down with the powers that be and have a complete review of the present squad and what is required to re-ignite us.

Defenders are a priority and a striker.

I thought yesterday was Wolves revisited as City are vulnerable against pace, and have been for a while
Sane and Laporte would have made a difference, but Bernardo, De Bruyne and Sterling have all been inconsistent , whilst David Silva' was good at Burnley, but otherwise has played one season too many.
Not sure if that makes it a transitional season, but we're definitely looking more flaky.

"only a couple of trophies" ? I'll take two trophies right now mate. Two trophies is far from an average season. I spent over two decades in the stands dreaming of any meaningful trophy that wasn't the Manx or full members cup! For several seasons I genuinely thought I'd never see us lift a trophy, that thought fuckin' haunted me.

Every season winning a trophy is a bonus. I have to keep reminding myself that so I don't become expectant. Two trophies a season is more than expectable and acceptable and I very much doubt the domestic sweep will be done again.

We have been spoiled blues. I still have to pinch myself I'm not dreaming all the success we've had: )

My poor attempt at sarcasm mate , after having enduring an away day at Wrexham and similar places , sitting in my comfy seat in the Colin Bell watching the best football in europe is a culture shock , although i do miss the gallows humour.

If it is an excuse it's a poor one. With the level of succession planning that you'd expect an organisation of City's magnitude to have in place it's pretty average work somewhere within the club to allow such a steep decline. Some things were obvious even to us fans during the summer;
We were a centre back down after Komps left.
Otamendi was not reliable enough at the top level.
Fernandinho and David Silva are in decline.
Angelino was a cheapskate option and never good enough.
Mendy cannot be relied on because of injuries.

None of those issues were addressed. Now we'll need a major overhaul in summer, which will be more difficult if we're not in the CL next season - a very real possibility unless our form drastically improves.

Player prices increase every transfer window, other big clubs aren't averse to spending £90-£100m plus on one player and to stay at that level we need to stop penny pinching and fucking get some real business done. If not, our time as top dog is done and we'll be battling for 4th while Liverpool and Chelsea battle for the title.

I really feel we have never fully taken advantage of our financial position and having the world's best manager. We never quite seemed to sign the very best players available and now we're paying for that.

Disagree we have Ederson , Walker , Laporte , Mahrez , Bernardo , KDB , Sterling , Aguero , Jesus , Sane , Gundogan , Rodri ,thats twelve players who would walk into most teams in europe , a centre back , left back and another defensive minded midfield player is required , we also have Garcia and Foden who will make an impact in the next couple of seasons

We need three quality players , to replace Merlin , Otto and Dinho , a derby defeat doesnt make our squad of players a europa league team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.