TV Series

Gave it less than ten minutes. A sad reflection on British modern tv mini series. That recent shite series,with the big nosed woman who thinks she’s a thespian actress, Suranne Jones, on the nuclear submarine was wank. Yet it got fantastic reviews and praise. It was utter gash.
Yeah, there was a drama on itv recently set on a plane. That was equally as ridiculous.

Late to this but Slow Horses is excellent. Just starting S3.

Also, the final episode of The Grand Tour. Not for everyone I know but I’ve really enjoyed these three over the years and the final 15 mins pulled on the heartstrings. End of era, like them or not.

Slow horses I find odd in that I love it but it’s part brilliant, part soap opera acting depending on if it’s a scene where Gary Oldman or Kristin Scott Thomas are in it or not. The writings similar, it’s either brilliant or utter tosh.

Oldman makes it unmissable though. He’s superb.

Need a bit of feedback on an old series. Two or three years back, on a whim, I rented The Leftovers, first series. I was intrigued by the premise of it, mainly. I like these crazy ideas.
Now I do understand that they didn't want to simply take the road of “What in the hell happened to the disappeared people?!” That would have been the obvious road to take. Instead, they wanted to study a specific community, from different points of view, in the aftermath of the trauma. I get that. There's a potential to that.
Well, I confess that I had difficulty getting through to the end of the series. I didn't find the acting very good, and the screenplay seemed to me to be all over the place. It seemed like a series that didn't really know in which direction it wanted to go. I was downright bored by certain episodes. I sometimes had to steel myself to turn the thing on. But when I've paid for something, I watch it to the bitter end!
I suppose that there must be fans of it on here. I read just now that the second and third series were considered to be much, much stronger. I thought I might give them a shot, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who had approximately my experience for the first series, and who was then “converted”, as it were. That would carry weight with me.

I notice in general that I very often have the ‘meh’ reaction to the first series of multi-series pieces. Sometimes I change my mind — big time. I was not fully convinced by the first series of Breaking Bad, for instance. Even in the second series, I wasn't fully into it. About halfway through the second series, something clicked, and I never looked back. Same with Better Call Saul. It took me a long time to get into it, but I perservered, and was finally glad that I did.
On the strong recommendation of a friend, I paid for The Last Kingdom. I never even finished the series. It's still in my library, sitting there.
Same with GOT, and The Wire. Saw one whole series of each (the first) and was simply not convinced. Never went back. I know that there are people who will throw up their hands in horror. That's how it was for me.

I loved The Leftovers. Can’t remember too many specifics now as it was a good while ago I watched it. But it’s on my list of things to rewatch when I get round to it.

I liked the way all three series, whist obviously all linked to the main story line, were also completely different settings and events.

Also thought the ending was satisfactory and quite interesting, unlike a lot of series that leave you all a bit underwhelmed.

I’m well aware this is a minority opinion though. Everyone else I know who watched it, thought it was a bag of shite.

Having never watched any of the Batman movies I wasn't sure about Gotham the series. Just finished it. 100 episodes of brilliance filling in the origins of all three future characters. Well worth a view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.