UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We finished 5th or 6th under Reid and would have qualified, I may be wrong as my old grey matter is not what it used to be.
Back then UEFA qualification was only for:
League Champions - European Cup
FA Cup winners - ECWC
League Cup winners - UEFA Cup
League runner-up - UEFA Cup

And if 1st or 2nd in the league also won a cup, it moved down to 3rd; if both 1st and 2nd in the league won a cup it went down to 3rd and 4th; if both 2nd and 3rd won a cup it went down to 4th and 5th.

The clubs it did affect were (plus number of seasons it affected them):
United x3
Everton x2
Norwich x2
Tottenham x2
Forest x2
Southampton x1
West Ham x1
Sheffield Wednesday x1
Oxford x1
Coventry x1
Arsenal x1
Wimbledon x1
Luton x1
Derby x1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are right, although I am not sure when 5th started to be a qualification for the UEFA cup. Originally I think you had to be 2nd?

I never really thought of it that way but I think you are correct. Before the ban (without checking) I think the Uefa place went down to 5th place in the league. When English clubs were aloud back into Europe in 90-91 our country coefficient was so low that only 2nd or 3rd qualified. So without the ban we would have qualified both the years we finished 5th under Reid.

FA Cup winners - ECWC

United x3
Everton x2
Norwich x2
Tottenham x2
Forest x2
Southampton x1
West Ham x1
Sheffield Wednesday x1
Oxford x1
Coventry x1
Arsenal x1
Wimbledon x1
Luton x1
Derby x1

I just checked QPR qualified for the UEFA cup in 84-85 by finishing 5th the previous season.

So as long as English clubs continued to be successful in Europe we would have qualified under Reid.

FA Cup winners - ECWC

United x3
Everton x2
Norwich x2
Tottenham x2
Forest x2
Southampton x1
West Ham x1
Sheffield Wednesday x1
Oxford x1
Coventry x1
Arsenal x1
Wimbledon x1
Luton x1
Derby x1
Thanks for that, I noticed you didn’t include Liverpool (can’t think why!) but I remember the commotion from the blue half of Merseyside and I think it is still referred to this day.

I just checked QPR qualified for the UEFA cup in 84-85 by finishing 5th the previous season.

So as long as English clubs continued to be successful in Europe we would have qualified under Reid.
Ah right, didn’t know that.

But when we finished 5th, in 1991-92 we missed out on Europe as teams were actually back playing in Europe by then. Sheff Weds finished 3rd and got into the UEFA Cup that year but Arsenal (4th) and City (5th) didn’t.

Don’t forget the Rags won the ECWC in 1991. Teams were back in Europe by the 1990-91 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, I noticed you didn’t include Liverpool (can’t think why!) but I remember the commotion from the blue half of Merseyside and I think it is still referred to this day.
Yeah, the team that replaced Everton, Steaua Bucharest, ended up winning the European Cup.

And Liverpool fans often mock the Toffees over that still at derby games today:
liverpool-banner.JPG

Classy, since it was their murdering of 39 Juventus fans that allowed that to happen.

Yeah, the team that replaced Everton, Steaua Bucharest, ended up winning the European Cup.

And Liverpool fans often mock the Toffees over that still at derby games today:
liverpool-banner.JPG

Classy, since it was their murdering of 39 Juventus fans that allowed that to happen.
The fact that there's a 'don't buy the Sun' banner above that just shows how unbelievably stupid they are.

Edit: perhaps 'hypocritical' would have been a better choice of words.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.