UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say, I think there's a lot of very high-quality stuff on The Athletic that you wouldn't get elsewhere and I'm happy to keep going with my subscription. I think Sam Lee isn't bad as a City reporter, but you can tell he doesn't have the passion for the club he's covering that many of their club correspondents have who are fans of their dedicated teams. This piece, however, is a bit disappointing, even if thme news it purports to break is welcome if true.

I'd single out this line:

According to Der Spiegel, City had lied about the true source of millions of pounds’ worth of sponsorship income and hidden various costs that should have been factored into their FFP calculation.​

The whole point is that Der Spiegel strongly pursued the line that the above was the truth but the evidence presented in support of that proposition was ambiguous and fell a long way short of meeting any standard of proof based on which meaningful sanctions could be applied to City. That doesn't necessarily mean that evidence meeting the required standrad of proof doesn't exist, but one would presume that Der Spiegel would have printed it if they had any.

So if UEFA have been relying on the Der Spiegel materials alone, they were always going to find it difficult to make a hard punishment stick. If, in covering this issue, The Athletic were to produce reporting that lives up to their own billing of their outlet, that would have been made clear in the article. That it hasn't been is shoddy.

Good question!
I suspect that it has absolutely nothing to do with the respective colours, religions, or knowledge of how to do the ‘proper’ handshake, of the owners.

The daily record/ranger up here yesterday were peddling a bullshit story that HMRC had made a mistake and that caused them to die.

HMRC in an unusual step made a statement saying no we did not.

I have heard a rumour that UEFA are looking at their continuing losses which seem to contradict their FFP stance. I can't understand why they are allowed to continue to spend money out with what they generate. If anybody could shed light on that I would be grateful.

Have to say, I think there's a lot of very high-quality stuff on The Athletic that you wouldn't get elsewhere and I'm happy to keep going with my subscription. I think Sam Lee isn't bad as a City reporter, but you can tell he doesn't have the passion for the club he's covering that many of their club correspondents have who are fans of their dedicated teams. This piece, however, is a bit disappointing, even if thme news it purports to break is welcome if true.

I'd single out this line:

According to Der Spiegel, City had lied about the true source of millions of pounds’ worth of sponsorship income and hidden various costs that should have been factored into their FFP calculation.​

The whole point is that Der Spiegel strongly pursued the line that the above was the truth but the evidence presented in support of that proposition was ambiguous and fell a long way short of meeting any standard of proof based on which meaningful sanctions could be applied to City. That doesn't necessarily mean that evidence meeting the required standrad of proof doesn't exist, but one would presume that Der Spiegel would have printed it if they had any.

So if UEFA have been relying on the Der Spiegel materials alone, they were always going to find it difficult to make a hard punishment stick. If, in covering this issue, The Athletic were to produce reporting that lives up to their own billing of their outlet, that would have been made clear in the article. That it hasn't been is shoddy.
Someone called Matt Slater is jointly responsible for the article and was replying to the invading scouse hordes last night. Have you any idea who he writes for or supports?

how does this guy always get news first?

Makes you wonder doesn't it? To be fair, on this occasion Sam Lee seems to have broken the story first but put a much longer timeline on when an announcement would be made

I know Tariq Panja has come in for a lot of stick from our fans but all I've really seen from him is him breaking stories that have been leaked to him which is what any journalist would do. Unless I'm mistaken, I've not seen him go down the route of Castles/McKenna/Delaney/Harris x 2/Syed, etc, and announce to the world that the club is guilty

Someone called Matt Slater is jointly responsible for the article and was replying to the invading scouse hordes last night. Have you any idea who he writes for or supports?

That's @mjshrimper? I'd guess Southend - his facebook page has a picture of their ground.

Was quite senior at the Press Association, and I've seen his stuff in various places.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? To be fair, on this occasion Sam Lee seems to have broken the story first but put a much longer timeline on when an announcement would be made

I know Tariq Panja has come in for a lot of stick from our fans but all I've really seen from him is him breaking stories that have been leaked to him which is what any journalist would do. Unless I'm mistaken, I've not seen him go down the route of Castles/McKenna/Delaney/Harris x 2/Syed, etc, and announce to the world that the club is guilty

Yeah, being first may just mean that he's quite good at his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.