UK far right trouble July/August 24

Britain made the contribution not just England, easy mistake to make though. The Americans jumped into the war after they were invited by the Japanese and the Germans declared war on them.

But the initial point is that there are always a minority of people who hate this country enough to denigrate anything we do for the good, there's always an if and a but.

There may be some people, obviously. I'd just prefer to remember and celebrate what we did, while also recognising great things other countries have done also. Mutual respect is a good thing. Only celebrating what we've done easily leads to some thinking we should look down on all others, which doesn't really help.

There were 2353 British pilots flying for the RAF in the Battle of Britain. There were also 574 pilots of other nationalities flying alongside ours. Obviously a minority, but one that clearly will have helped us.

Indeed. I just cannot abide arguments that fly in the face of a century of military and historical scholarship, both at home, in Europe, and here in America.

Then again, I see ‘patriotism’ as an inherently dangerous concept and practice, so I would find fault with aggrandising England’s or America’s role in defeating the Nazis.
How can we pat those on the back who died for their country and then say that patriotism is a dangerous concept? It is only a dangerous concept when coupled with dangerous ideas. It is otherwise no different to the existential challenges of today championed by Palestine or Israel.

The important thing is that people stood up to ideologies such as fascism, whether they did that for country or not is irrelevant but patriotism was certainly a driving factor on the allies side, especially for the American and Russian side. The US saw a HUGE military recruitment boom following Pearl Harbor.

If the UK was attacked today and nobody was willing to fight to defend the country then how is it possible that we could defend ourselves? I say this in the context of the people I know who are out there now on the Eastern frontiers defending everything we stand for from Russian aggression.

Britain made the contribution not just England, easy mistake to make though. The Americans jumped into the war after they were invited by the Japanese and the Germans declared war on them.

But the initial point is that there are always a minority of people who hate this country enough to denigrate anything we do for the good, there's always an if and a but.
Nobody has denigrated the country's war effort in this thread.
One or 2 have airbrushed other countries contribution though.
Perhaps people could show their love and patriotism for England by smashing up seaside towns, fighting coppers and assaulting innocent people.....

Germany was defeated because "Britain provided the time, America provided the materiel and Russia provided the blood."
Bloke named Churchill said that.

Did he really? Said some clever things, that one. Hate his politics (especially from the 1920s), but there's no denying that he said some spot-on things.
By the way, for those who don't quite know — the most serious estimates of Soviet (largely Russian) casualties by historians of the period are approximately twenty million.
I'll say that again, slowly: twenty million.

Lawrence Fox, amongst others, is now splashing photos of the alleged suspect all over his Twitter.

I’m no lawyer but I’m pretty sure that would be against the law, whether it’s the right guy or not.

Haven't the BBC done just that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.