Umberto from Piccadilly Radio RIP (page 8)

Takes me back to the days when the 261 DJs had their pictures in the windows next to the bus station. Mad that you could dial 261 on your phone and listen to Piccadilly! Tremendous knowledge Dave was always on on a bank holiday with stannage. Jimbo and the doc on a Saturday with that daft fucker Paul from moss side ringing in every week. Think Piccadilly moved to medium wave 1152. Life seemed simpler then
It did. Picc became 1152am and Key 103FM

I remember an Irate Albert from Salford who used to phone James H regularly.
One particular time he was going on about having to go to the VD clinic and drop his kecks and get his chopper out. Albert's words not mine. That one call is possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard on the radio!!

When Picc wasn't good enough for some or too local as it was and needed to pander to a new set of people on 103 it lost its identity and started on the road to being just another radio station.
1152 stuck with the same formula of Curly Shirley / Sweeney / Susie Mathis and 60 - 70's music while 103 went for the kids / younger adults and current music with trendy DJ's

1152 stuck with the same formula of Curly Shirley / Sweeney / Susie Mathis and 60 - 70's music while 103 went for the kids / younger adults and current music with trendy DJ's
Oh I know but prior to this the kids were either on national stuff or down with normal Picc.

To my mind trying to be all things to all people on what was probably a small budget aided it losing its identity.

Bloody hell what a shock.I must admit that I loved Umbertos shows and as others have said he played a big part in the Mancunian Radio Station that was never replaced as far as I`m concerned.
The only radio station for me was Picc 1152 with the wonderful James Stannage,Susie Mathis,Dave Ward,JHR and even Mike Sweeney was great apart from him being a Rag.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.