United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a student, a butcher in Leeds market used to knock his prices right down at 4pm Saturday. Big scrum. 2 chickens for 5/- or 20p, in New money.
We went to Bury Market late one Saturday and basically filled the freezer for two months for £30! Still do it from time to time - why not? Went after the derby last week, everyone has watched the match and then gone shopping - bastids! Neither a bargain or a daft twat in a rag shirt so not all bad.

I worked on a bank till on Decimalisation Day.
The worst customers to not properly understand the "new" system were teachers!
My Uncle came home pissed up to my Grans every Sunday, ate his Sunday dinner then went to bed until Monday morning then went to work. The Sunday before decimalisation came in he emptied his pockets out and give me all his change. Next day I tried spending it, of course I couldn’t. I knew what was happening too. First let down in life I suppose.

When I told him about it years later he called me all the daft gits under the sun. Suppose he was right.

My Uncle came home pissed up to my Grans every Sunday, ate his Sunday dinner then went to bed until Monday morning then went to work. The Sunday before decimalisation came in he emptied his pockets out and give me all his change. Next day I tried spending it, of course I couldn’t. I knew what was happening too. First let down in life I suppose.

When I told him about it years later he called me all the daft gits under the sun. Suppose he was right.
I was nearly 7 1/2 on D-Day.

I doubt that there are many younger than me, who can remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.