United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also signed Ali G lookalike Veron for £28.1 million in the same window as Camelgob.
that was the summer before, but still. They bought him and van Nistelrooy that summer for the best part of £55m between them, plus £7m on Forlan so £62m, which is £105m today. Still double the fee anyone else was paying per player in that summer.

In summer 02 they bought Rio for £30m. The next highest fee signing in the Prem was us with Anelka at £13m, so by comparison for the market to be less competitive this window the next lowest signing after our "£100m" would have to be £43.3m. They've already spent £73m on Sancho, comparable to the actual £80m upfront on Grealish, and Chelsea are in for Lukaku at £90/£100m. For us to have the same comparable buying power as the rags had in 2002, we'd have to spend £168m on players without the Rags spending any more money after Sancho, and of course they bought Varane for £34m*(actually more like £50m).

That £30m is worth £50m today so is comparable to signing a Stones, the net on Dias etc. so the only CB truly splurged on in recent times was van Dijk...
Ahhh but that they were operating organically (whatever the heaven that means)................

that was the summer before, but still. They bought him and van Nistelrooy that summer for the best part of £55m between them, plus £7m on Forlan so £62m, which is £105m today. Still double the fee anyone else was paying per player in that summer.
Aargh my mistake,
The Rags spent so much more money than everyone else back then and broke transfer records as regularly as clockwork I couldn't keep up ;)

Still have 4 of the 5 biggest incoming transfers in the history of English football yet according to your average Rag we're ruining football.

I just caught a few minutes of ”Talking Balls” on Radio Manchester and as far as I can tell the host, Gaz Drinkwater, was extolling the virtues of United‘s academy and how they continue to produce first team players.

The last time I looked the Rags best starting eleven looked something like

Goalkeeper - Bought
Right Back - Bought
Left Back - Bought
Centre Backs - both bought
Midfield - bought, bought and bought
attack - bought, bought and home grown (st.Marcus)

Talking Balls indeed - do they really believe the s..t the spout ?

I just caught a few minutes of ”Talking Balls” on Radio Manchester and as far as I can tell the host, Gaz Drinkwater, was extolling the virtues of United‘s academy and how they continue to produce first team players.

Goalkeeper - Bought
Right Back - Bought
Left Back - Bought

We live in a farcical world of driven propaganda

Goalkeeper - Bought
Right Back - Bought
Left Back - Bought

Is this the same Academy that finished behind City at every age level in their respective leagues last season?

In summer 02 they bought Rio for £30m. The next highest fee signing in the Prem was us with Anelka at £13m, so by comparison for the market to be less competitive this window the next lowest signing after our "£100m" would have to be £43.3m. They've already spent £73m on Sancho, comparable to the actual £80m upfront on Grealish, and Chelsea are in for Lukaku at £90/£100m. For us to have the same comparable buying power as the rags had in 2002, we'd have to spend £168m on players without the Rags spending any more money after Sancho, and of course they bought Varane for £34m*(actually more like £50m).

That £30m is worth £50m today so is comparable to signing a Stones, the net on Dias etc. so the only CB truly splurged on in recent times was van Dijk...
It is strange how your memory fades and you do simply forget. 30 Mill in 2002 !!!!
19 years ago they were blowing other clubs out of the water and yet not a bad word was said about it.

Goalkeeper - Bought
Right Back - Bought
Left Back - Bought

No Pogba was a product of the academy, I remember seeing him at the gates of Ashton on Mersey school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.