United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a time on here where people would not/could not write L****s, now they are someone's second team. Sad days!!
I have teams that I keep an eye on their results (from places I've lived or currently live), but to have a SECOND team in the SAME F*CKING LEAGUE???

Just NO!!!

Last edited:
This has been well documented in books and documentaries. In 1958, there was no money in football. Players were capped at £20 per week.

Furthermore at the time of the crash, nothing resembling a compensation culture existed in Britain. After two world wars, the British public wanted to see resilience from victims, and not perhaps entitlements (no matter how deserved the survivor’s claims were). United’s treatment of the survivors of Munich was not unique and it is unfair to apply modern day standards to the past.

This was echoed across many football clubs in the past. West Ham's treatment of Bobby Moore when he left the club and was diagnosed with cancer, or the FA's treatment of the 1966 world cup winning squad. Many of them ended up taking on normal jobs after leaving football. Only Jack Charlton and Alan Ball managed at the top level. Gordon Banks and Roger Hunt worked on the pools panel; Ray Wilson became an undertaker; George Cohen, struggling with cancer, didn't watch a football match for years. Even their manager, Sir Alf Ramsey, sacked at the age of just 53 - at least as much because of internal FA politics as because of the results on the pitch - never found a new role, despite being the only England manager to successfully win a World Cup.
Add how we treated Paul Lake while he was injured to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.