United Thread - 2023/24

Yes but there are two classes of shares. The Glazers hold the 'B' Class shares, which carry 10 votes per share. The rest are 'A' Class shares, which carry 1 vote per share.

Under normal circumstances if anyone outside the Glazer family buys the B Class shares, they revert to A Class shares. However Ratcliffe has bought 25% of each class of shares but with the proviso that the B Class shares he's bought retain their voting rights. So he has 25% of united shares.

The interesting thing is that he's paid $33 per share, but the shares were still being quoted at just under $20 on the NYSE. Normally you'd expect the price to reflect a significant transaction like that but it's been known about for a while and the share price has only briefly gone over $25. That tends to suggest that the market thinks Ratcliffe has overpaid. We'll see when the NYSE opens tomorrow (as Boxing Day isn't a public holiday in the USA) but I doubt it'll move much.

What's largely being ignored in this is that the Glazers apparently benefit to the tune of $900m by selling their own shares. Im guessing they won't be putting any of that into ground improvements or players.
Thanks for your usual informed input. I'm guessing yer man Jim isn't an idiot as people with his kind of money know what they're up to. I'm guessing he has a plan and wouldn't pay over the odds if he didn't.

Yes but there are two classes of shares. The Glazers hold the 'B' Class shares, which carry 10 votes per share. The rest are 'A' Class shares, which carry 1 vote per share.

Under normal circumstances if anyone outside the Glazer family buys the B Class shares, they revert to A Class shares. However Ratcliffe has bought 25% of each class of shares but with the proviso that the B Class shares he's bought retain their voting rights. So he has 25% of united shares.

The interesting thing is that he's paid $33 per share, but the shares were still being quoted at just under $20 on the NYSE. Normally you'd expect the price to reflect a significant transaction like that but it's been known about for a while and the share price has only briefly gone over $25. That tends to suggest that the market thinks Ratcliffe has overpaid. We'll see when the NYSE opens tomorrow (as Boxing Day isn't a public holiday in the USA) but I doubt it'll move much.

What's largely being ignored in this is that the Glazers apparently benefit to the tune of $900m by selling their own shares. Im guessing they won't be putting any of that into ground improvements or players.
Isn’t the price quote on NYSE for class A shares Ragcliffe is buying class B, which surely have a greater valve with 10 votes?

Thanks for your usual informed input. I'm guessing yer man Jim isn't an idiot as people with his kind of money know what they're up to. I'm guessing he has a plan and wouldn't pay over the odds if he didn't.
The question is what's the plan and how does he get a return on his investment? He either takes dividends and/or increases the share price to nearer $40, which means doubling it.

His dividends would be around £10m a year at the rate they've been previously, so that's 100 years to get payback if they stay at that level, assuming they've even got the profits to pay them. Can't see that being the plan so it must be the share price but he'd have to cut costs to the bone and be incredibly successful on the pitch while doing that. That's a complete Hail Mary, not a plan.

That'll involve cutting the wage bill of both playing and non-playing staff, which will take them a good few years to do. Meanwhile they'll presumably be looking at reduced spending on young hopefuls, which is a risk. Leicester have done it but they're now in the Championship, mainly because the big teams took their players.

Maybe he's going to turn them into the new Brighton or Southampton, who develop players and sell them for good money, rather than invest the money necessary to consistently make the top four.

While they have 650m mouse clicking fans
The bbc will tell them anything
What gets me is the BBC technically isn't even a commercial entity "due to the unique way it's funded" so it isn’t actually reliant on advertising revenue... yet it's still just as determined, if not more so, than the commercial media and broadcasters to blow smoke up the arse of Manchester united football club and its supporters.

Wasn't there a bit of a scandal over that signing? I seem to remember there were allegations that not everything was above board?
Could have signed him.for 125k , his club were skint and he'd ripped up his.contract,
Bebe has not played competitive football at a level higher than the Portuguese third division and Sportsmail can now reveal that his former club Estrela da Amadora touted him around Europe for just 150,000 euros as they desperately sought cash to stave off a winding-up order.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.