United Thread - 2023/24

Three things.
1) Yes the hypocrisy stinks.
2) Building a 'Wembley for the North' is actually a very good idea.
3) Whether the home ground for a football team should be that "Wembley" is debateable. i.e Surely it's a 'home' game if they play a semi or final there?
1) Agreed.
2) Disagree. It would be a white elephant with not enough usage to cover costs. Cup semi's should revert to the fairest ground relevant to the 2 teams competing.
3) Definitely shouldn't be a home ground for anyone (although my reply to point 2 makes that moot)

Three things.
3) Whether the home ground for a football team should be that "Wembley" is debateable. i.e Surely it's a 'home' game if they play a semi or final there?
England isn't big enough for two national stadiums or a "Wembley of the North". But the national stadium should have been put in a central place to start with, although that's another debate entirely......

In a few years there will be enough stadiums of high quality for cup semi finals to be moved around and played at neutral venues depending on who is involved. England games can move around the country to spread the audience.

The rags and their PR campaign can piss off. Want a new fancy stadium? Build your own you cheeky f*ckers.

Three things.
A Wembley of the North is only a good idea if the FA signal willingness to locate England matches and FA Cups there. Thanks to Ken Bates, the FA have a long term contract with Wembley to pay off the debt on the stadium by staging cup semi finals, finals, and internationals there. Not sure of the current state of play but I suspect that the Wembley of the North is a non starter.
Quiz question: which stadium was built as a Wembley of the North? (Not MR)

Last edited:
A Wembley of the North is only a good idea if the FA signal willingness to locate England matches and FA Cups there. Thanks to Ken Bates, the FA have a long term contract with Wembley to pay off the debt on the stadium by staging cup semi finals, finals, and internationals there. Not sure of the current state of play but I suspect that the Wembley of the North is a non starter.
Quiz question: which stadium was built as a Wembley of the North? (Not MR)
Vale Park, Stoke on Trent

A red i know said “well you had a stadium built for you, why shouldnt we?”

Well we didnt have a stadium built for us did we. Manchester built a stadium for the commonwealth games, and we agreed to take it on as tenants post games, otherwise it would have been a total white elephant (at best) or demolished (at worse).

Our deal with the council was beneficial for both parties.
We havent had it for free.

Also, when i said “you want a ground redeveloped/rebuilt for free AGAIN” he had no idea what i meant. Gave him a clue with world cup 66? Nope. So then just told him, to which his reply was “bollocks”

Ah well

If they do build a new stadium what will happen with the current one. Presumably it will be knocked down but Id hope it wouldn't stay an urban wasteland and they'd actually attempt to improve the area. Maybe a sewage works?

If they do build a new stadium what will happen with the current one. Presumably it will be knocked down but Id hope it wouldn't stay an urban wasteland and they'd actually attempt to improve the area. Maybe a sewage works?
They can only build this huge new stadium where the shit one currently stands so need to come up with a plan to knock it down in stages and build new stands while they’re still playing there. In order to fit a stand in between the pitch and the railway line, that will enable a 90k capacity, they’ll probably need to move the pitch a bit so all quite complicated.

I doubt it will happen and certainly not very quickly.

They can only build this huge new stadium where the shit one currently stands so need to come up with a plan to knock it down in stages and build new stands while they’re still playing there. In order to fit a stand in between the pitch and the railway line, that will enable a 90k capacity, they’ll probably need to move the pitch a bit so all quite complicated.

I doubt it will happen and certainly not very quickly.
It's difficult to see how it happens under the Glazer's. They are not going to put cash in and there is already a lot of debt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.