US Politics Thread

So, when did he live in a small rural town, before or after he went to Yale?

He grew up in the Ohio rust belt, mostly raised by his grandparents as his mother was a drug abuser.

I hope you don’t think I’m somehow defending his current politics.

My whole post was making the point that his book (which came out in 2016) is hard to reconcile with the MAGA nutter we now see before us.

Hillbilly Elegy isn’t really about him, it’s about the breakdown of the wider social fabric of poor working class rural America.

I’m reading JD Vance’s book.

It’s really hard to square the fact that this really well written and insightful personal account of life in small town blue collar rural America and the social and industrial history of these areas was written by the same person who’s come out with the sort of crazy reactionary shit he’s come out with as a politician.

I can only conclude that he’s clearly intelligent enough to know that what he says is a load of nonsense and he’s just playing to an audience.

Very odd, and a real shame.
What it tells me, if we weren't already aware, is that the man is a shameless opportunist, content to change his views as often as his underwear if it helps further his own selfish interests. Remind you of anyone? Let's not forget, this is the same man who described Trump as "America's Hitler" in the not too distant past but who has since had a miraculous change of heart to become the orange man baby's running mate! Regardless, if great swathes of the American people are willing to swallow the constant lies and deception, they'll get the administration they deserve.

He grew up in the Ohio rust belt, mostly raised by his grandparents as his mother was a drug abuser.

I hope you don’t think I’m somehow defending his current politics.

My whole post was making the point that his book (which came out in 2016) is hard to reconcile with the MAGA nutter we now see before us.

Hillbilly Elegy isn’t really about him, it’s about the breakdown of the wider social fabric of poor working class rural America.
There were a lot of people who were fairly reasonable before MAGA (and more widely social media) came along.

We've come a long way from this:

What it tells me, if weren't already aware, is that the man is a shameless opportunist, content to change his views as often as his underwear if it helps further his own selfish interests. Remind you of anyone? Let's not forget, this is the same man who described Trump as "America's Hitler" in the not too distant past but who has since had a miraculous change of heart to become the orange man baby's running mate! Regardless, if great swathes of the American people are willing to swallow the constant lies and deception, they'll get the administration they deserve.

I agree that’s what he’s become yeah.

Sad to see, as someone with obvious real life experience and intellect could have gone on to try and make a positive impact rather than go down the road he’s now on.

There were a lot of people who were fairly reasonable before MAGA (and more widely social media) came along.

We've come a long way from this:

What a sobering clip this is; a throwback to a time in American politics when, for the most part, discourse between the two main parties wasn't polluted by fear, mistrust and undisguised hatred. Also, it serves as a reminder of what a courageous man McCain was, often in the face of vicious attacks not only from Republican supporters but those within his own party.

I agree that’s what he’s become yeah.

Sad to see, as someone with obvious real life experience and intellect could have gone on to try and make a positive impact rather than go down the road he’s now on.

Maybe he is intelligent enough to know if he wants to rein Trump in he has to do it from the inside. He is a politician and he can change spots to suit presumably, but it isn't so easy for an intelligent, educated man to become an actual raging imbecile (although it happens to a few posters around here ....).

Just a thought.

I’m reading JD Vance’s book.

It’s really hard to square the fact that this really well written and insightful personal account of life in small town blue collar rural America and the social and industrial history of these areas was written by the same person who’s come out with the sort of crazy reactionary shit he’s come out with as a politician.

I can only conclude that he’s clearly intelligent enough to know that what he says is a load of nonsense and he’s just playing to an audience.

Very odd, and a real shame.
Similar trajectory to Liz Truss. A lib dem in student politics and addressed their conference.

Moves to tory camp to increase chances of election and a career.

Then losses mind and goes fiscally rogue. An absolute disaster which has clearly traumatised her. She is dead behind the eyes.

I see Vance on a similar journey. He has that disconnected look about him.

Similar trajectory to Liz Truss. A lib dem in student politics and addressed their conference.

Moves to tory camp to increase chances of election and a career.

Then losses mind and goes fiscally rogue. An absolute disaster which has clearly traumatised her. She is dead behind the eyes.

I see Vance on a similar journey. He has that disconnected look about him.

Interesting comparison. Truss has been off the deep end for a long time though.

Vance’s book came out in 2016 and he was vehemently anti-Trump until very recently.

His slide has been a lot more rapid than Truss’s

Clarence (AKA Mr Ginni Thomas) is probably up there to be fair, being blatantly compromised (bribed) and for failing to recuse himself from any Jan 6 hearing where his wife may have been implicated.

Gorsuch is just a bit more sneaky about it. The whole "if a President does it as part of their official duties, it's not a crime" schtick might come back and bite him on the arse though if Biden just decides to ram through Supreme Court reforms before leaving office.
I was on about Thomas (the second tweet)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.