US Politics Thread

I only see downside in a debate. If Harris crushes Trump, not a single Trump voter will change his/her mind. She can only make a gaffe which will be scrutiniz(s)ed and amplified over and over and over again. My hope is she is she doesn’t, that she is poised and confident and unruffled and lays out positive policy proposals to allow voters who don’t know her to know her better and be comfortable and maybe even downright excited in supporting her. It’s easier to do that if her on-stage presence is not being sullied by Trump’s presence. It would be great viscerally if she could treat Trump like the little boy he is, and rap his knuckles with a ruler, but the format of this debate doesn’t really allow for that so much.

I only see downside in a debate. If Harris crushes Trump, not a single Trump voter will change his/her mind. She can only make a gaffe which will be scrutiniz(s)ed and amplified over and over and over again. My hope is she is she doesn’t, that she is poised and confident and unruffled and lays out positive policy proposals to allow voters who don’t know her to know her better and be comfortable and maybe even downright excited in supporting her. It’s easier to do that if her on-stage presence is not being sullied by Trump’s presence. It would be great viscerally if she could treat Trump like the little boy he is, and rap his knuckles with a ruler, but the format of this debate doesn’t really allow for that so much.
True. Democrats hold themselves to much higher standards and the media adopt that high bar.

Trump could shit himself on stage and Fox News would just blame immigration. There is a zero bar for him with his base and the mainstream media just seem to let stuff go as they know his base don't care.

The result is a heavily uneven level of scrutiny.

You've answered your own objection, it seems to me. You're right — not a single Trump voter who's already decided to vote for him will change. Nor, incidentally, will a single Harris voter. It's not about them.
This is for the undecideds, and don't forget that includes people who've never got out and voted before (a disturbingly large number, I believe, in the USA). They may have a crucial effect on this election.
And in any case, she cannot not have this debate. She would be seen as funking it.

You've answered your own objection, it seems to me. You're right — not a single Trump voter who's already decided to vote for him will change. Nor, incidentally, will a single Harris voter. It's not about them.
This is for the undecideds, and don't forget that includes people who've never got out and voted before (a disturbingly large number, I believe, in the USA). They may have a crucial effect on this election.
And in any case, she cannot not have this debate. She would be seen as funking it.
There aren’t any undecideds — at least not enough to matter. It’s about turning out people who intend to vote for one candidate or another — actually physically getting them to get off their sofas to go and actually vote. The chances are higher she’ll turn in a performance that leads to apathy or doubt rather than passion and enthusiasm because she is far more under the microscope than Trump because people don’t know her as well. Were she on her own, and could fire up the troops without distraction, she’d have a better chance — she’d be the narrative, not him. A debate is more in his favor because she’s defending (Biden) and he’s attacking. But yes you’re right — obviously they both had to say yes to avoid looking like they were ducking it.

Last edited:
There aren’t any undecideds — at least not enough to matter. It’s about turning out people who intend to vote for one candidate or another — actually physically getting them to get off their sofas to go and actually vote. The chances are higher she’ll turn in a performance that leads to apathy or doubt rather than passion and enthusiasm because she is far more under the microscope than Trump because people don’t know her as well. Were she on her own, and could fire up the troops without distraction, she’d have a better chance — she’d be the narrative, not him. A debate is more in his favor because she’s defending (Biden) and he’s attacking. But yes you’re right — obviously they both had to say yes to avoid looking like they were ducking it.
All true, however I think she has the advantage of being smart where as Trump is both dumb as a rock and a compulsive liar.

Haris has to mix a carefull blend of attack with the positivity and good vibes that has worked so well.

All true, however I think she has the advantage of being smart where as Trump is both dumb as a rock and a compulsive liar.

Haris has to mix a carefull blend of attack with the positivity and good vibes that has worked so well.
Dumb and smart don’t matter. The problem with him is always that he lies. So you have to respond with “that’s a lie.” You are constantly defending against his lies. There is no winning in a battle like that.

I am not sure how people can’t grasp this. He isn’t playing the same game. He’s not on an even moral playing field. He doesn’t care if he lies. Imagine playing football against someone who fouled you every time but there is no referee to call those fouls. Unless you do the same, you can’t win. This is precisely why he’s “successful”.

It’s simply Keyser Soze — “you just need the will to do what the other guy won’t.”

This ties in with what I’ve said in recent weeks. The **** is going to unravel in the weeks ahead, and consequently make more and more outlandish, unwarranted and alienating comments.

Sure as night follows day.

He’s going to fuck hmself.

Horrible fucking ****.
I agree, Harris is well ahead in virtually every cohort bar over 50s white males and Christo-fascists.
I believe there is a substantial silent group of independents who are simply not responding to polling and are keeping their powder dry until 5/11 when they will unleash their power.
The voter registration numbers tell you something is afoot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.