US Politics Thread

Doing some more reading today and decided that the majority save Thomas tried to call out abortion as a special case, and their evisceration of stare decisis is stated as specific to this particular issue, not same sex relationships or contraception (SS marriage is another thing).

Now I have to decide whether or not I believe them.

Also realized Kavanaugh’s concurrence was a function of trying to publicly rationalize and defend his comments during his hearing about Casey. His concurrence literally adds no value beyond that. It’s very odd.

But of course this doesn’t change anything. There are enough hard red states to block any and all attempts to re-legalize abortion at a Federal level unless we do away with the filibuster. And yet more disharmony and disunity and intra-continental drift between blue and red states, and urban/rural populations within states. It’s going to take a long time to fix this. Decades, probably.

I have always felt that places as disparate as, for example, Vermont and Mississippi should never be required to live under the same rules. The attempt to make it so leads only to rancor and mutual hatred.

This abortion dynamic is a perfect example. Everyone fucking melting down marching here in the streets of Boston are protesting.... something that will never apply here or to them. Rather pointless as a use of time and energy, if you ask me. I get showing solidarity with our sisters in Little Rock and whatnot, but they can always come here if they want one.

Leaving aside the issue of actual discrimination against people as the slavery/Jim Crow "States Rights" idiots always wanted. You can't have that. That is the province of nation-wide rule-making for sure.

Past that, I think Federalism has a lot in its favor. The alternative could eventually result in the dissolution of the country. So if Oklahoma wants to legalize all firearms, lower the age of consent to 11 (provided it isn't already), and ban abortion? Well those hillbillies will be happier under their rules and not ours and vice-versa.

Oh, I kid because I care, Oklahoma. I actually worked there for the better part of two years. It's just a place like every other place with people wanting mostly the same things that people everywhere want. But if left to their own devices, yeah, I suppose you'd have all those things going into effect.

I have always felt that places as disparate as, for example, Vermont and Mississippi should never be required to live under the same rules. The attempt to make it so leads only to rancor and mutual hatred.

This abortion dynamic is a perfect example. Everyone fucking melting down marching here in the streets of Boston are protesting.... something that will never apply here or to them. Rather pointless as a use of time and energy, if you ask me. I get showing solidarity with our sisters in Little Rock and whatnot, but they can always come here if they want one.

Leaving aside the issue of actual discrimination against people as the slavery/Jim Crow "States Rights" idiots always wanted. You can't have that. That is the province of nation-wide rule-making for sure.

Past that, I think Federalism has a lot in its favor. The alternative could eventually result in the dissolution of the country. So if Oklahoma wants to legalize all firearms, lower the age of consent to 11 (provided it isn't already), and ban abortion? Well those hillbillies will be happier under their rules and not ours and vice-versa.

Oh, I kid because I care, Oklahoma. I actually worked there for the better part of two years. It's just a place like every other place with people wanting mostly the same things that people everywhere want. But if left to their own devices, yeah, I suppose you'd have all those things going into effect.
A curious post.
I disagree though. It's still, "We the People, right?!?!"

As an outsider, I have always thought America being built by adding states over a long period of time and essencially being a continental sized nation is probably too hard to govern federally, but then having each state be allowed to imposed fundemental laws for the populace of their state that other citizens of the same country may never have to abide by is batshit crazy.

The daft cunts at the start should have been happy with the British colonies they rebelled against and left the central palins and west coast to develop independently as seperated nations

If they follow the history of humanity the US will eventually break up into smaller nations not many large nations last more than 3-4 centuries, even the roman empire went through several retcons to survive so long.

Saying that, there may be more that unites you than divides you and a common national identity and pride that goes beyond law making.

Last edited:
As an outsider, I have always thought America being built by adding states over a long period of time and essencially being a continental sized nation is probably too hard to govern federally, but then having each state be allowed to imposed fundemental laws for the populace of their state that other citizens of the same country may never have to abide by is batshit crazy.

The daft cunts at the start should have been happy with the British colonies they rebelled against and left the central palins and west coast to develop independently as seperated nations

If they follow the history of humanity the US will eventually break up into smaller nations not many large nations last more than 3-4 centuries, even the roman empire went through several retcons to survive so long.

Saying that, there may be more that united you than divides you and a common national identity and pride that goes beyond law making.
It's extremely unclear where America goes from here. You may well be right - but odds are that something else transpires.

Doing some more reading today and decided that the majority save Thomas tried to call out abortion as a special case, and their evisceration of stare decisis is stated as specific to this particular issue, not same sex relationships or contraception (SS marriage is another thing).

Now I have to decide whether or not I believe them.

Also realized Kavanaugh’s concurrence was a function of trying to publicly rationalize and defend his comments during his hearing about Casey. His concurrence literally adds no value beyond that. It’s very odd.

But of course this doesn’t change anything. There are enough hard red states to block any and all attempts to re-legalize abortion at a Federal level unless we do away with the filibuster. And yet more disharmony and disunity and intra-continental drift between blue and red states, and urban/rural populations within states. It’s going to take a long time to fix this. Decades, probably.

I don't believe him for one moment..

They are Christian radicals and they want Christian Sharia..

So Step 1 for them: no abortion (control women)
Step 2: no marriage equality (control men)
Step 3: no privacy in bedroom.. states can arrest gays/ trans (villify the others)
Step 4: public executions of those that don't conform to their radical christianity views. (expel the others)

You might think its hyperbole but just see how some countries go from liberal to extreme and we're well on our way to becoming one.. and they have wanted this for 5 decades now.

The only thing that stops us sliding further is a national divorce and for us to go our seperate ways before we kill each other in another uncivil war.

I have my doubts on us doing the right thing but the thing is I've heard some on the right call for secession and a national divorce too.

I find the actual discrimination argument interesting. Was thinking today — what is something women are allowed to do that men are not by law? I couldn’t think of anything. Yet here we have something women are no longer allowed to do in some places if they get pregnant, whereas the law cannot definitionally apply to men.

I don't believe him for one moment..

They are Christian radicals and they want Christian Sharia..

So Step 1 for them: no abortion (control women)
Step 2: no marriage equality (control men)
Step 3: no privacy in bedroom.. states can arrest gays/ trans (villify the others)
Step 4: public executions of those that don't conform to their radical christianity views. (expel the others)

You might think its hyperbole but just see how some countries go from liberal to extreme and we're well on our way to becoming one.. and they have wanted this for 5 decades now.

The only thing that stops us sliding further is a national divorce and for us to go our seperate ways before we kill each other in another uncivil war.

I have my doubts on us doing the right thing but the thing is I've heard some on the right call for secession and a national divorce too.
There have been a few secession calls in California too, from both left (the entire state) and right (the State of Jefferson movement).

Free to carry a gun, not free for a woman's right to choose.

What a fucking mess such an amazing country has become.

These religious nutters have taken over the asylum, thanks to a stacked deck from a useless **** who had probably never picked up a Bible until he decided to run for Office.

Many can say what they want about Biden, but he is an inherently good man who must despair that after reaching such a grand old age, has seen his country move so far backwards.

Free to carry a gun, not free for a woman's right to choose.

What a fucking mess such an amazing country has become.

These religious nutters have taken over the asylum, thanks to a stacked deck from a useless **** who had probably never picked up a Bible until he decided to run for Office.

Many can say what they want about Biden, but he is an inherently good man who must despair that after reaching such a grand old age, has seen his country move so far backwards.

Agree 100% but the only thing I'll add..

He's powerless to stop it thanks to the "stacked deck" you mentioned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.