Using my iPhone in Australia

Tricky_Trev

Ok, so I'm a complete technophobe with things like this. I have an iPhone 5c - how do I go about being able to use it in Australia? What are my options, so that I don't end up with one of those several thousand pound bills that you hear people getting? Silly question I'm sure, but I'm not savvy with technology at all!

Cheers!

Tricky_Trev said:
Ok, so I'm a complete technophobe with things like this. I have an iPhone 5c - how do I go about being able to use it in Australia? What are my options, so that I don't end up with one of those several thousand pound bills that you hear people getting? Silly question I'm sure, but I'm not savvy with technology at all!

Cheers!

it will be expensive, when I used my phone in England I had to pay for all calls to be routed first back to Oz then from Oz to whoever I was calling in England..................I ended up buying a 10 quid sim card over there.....................................ask your provider what is the best course of action

take no notice of people in the cellar , they are cunts

(including me)

Most phone providers have certain options for when you go abroad. You just get in contact with them, tell them where you're going and they will tell you the rest. Also turn off your data roaming and only use WIFI while out there.

If your considering an oz sim card then be aware its a pain in the arse to activate one here. You need an australian address and also things like an oz bank card, medicare card etc..
<a class="postlink" href="http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Types-of-identification-we-ll-accept-to-register-your-new-prepaid-account" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles ... id-account</a>

I would check with your current provider if they do something like an international bolt on for your UK number, failing that after checking your phone is unlocked then I would be contacting Telstra, Optus or Vodafone and see what they can do for a temp visitor from overseas, do this before you get here. If you know anyone here you could ask them to get a sim card for you using their details.

If you dont do any of the above then just turn data roaming off and just use your phone in wifi areas and use apps like whatsapp for messaging people back home (when your in a wifi area of course).

Two words for calling home....Wi-Fi, Skype

Ask the locals about local calls, as they know all the deals for the ubiquitous "foreigner with iPhone" problem.

Get your nearest and dearest to get viber on their phones, when you are in Oz get on a good wifi connection and call through viber for free.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.