Van - cent Kompany?

TheMightyQuinn said:
Didsbury Dave said:
That's it.

Reid said in the press, when asked if it was Michelle or Michael, "We don't have any girls in our team"

Do I get a prize?

SpottersBadge.jpg

Didsbury Dave said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Chor-ee-tho - Dave is wrong, even though he knows his skinny-latte cronies all pronounce it as such.

Of course that's how it should be promounced in Spain, Tolm.

In Manchester I stand by the fact that it's grounds for a kicking.

A kicking, nice.

Didsbury Dave said:
Honestly, you might noy be gay, but definitely a ponce. "Chor-ee-tho" is a definite no-no.

choree-tho is the castilian spanish pronunciation. choree-zo is perfectly acceptable as that's how latin americans pronounce it. (can you imagine silva & tevez getting pissy with each other about this?). what it isn't is chor-itso as that clown on come dine with me always pronounces it.

personal names should really only be pronounced as the owner of the name pronounces it but common usage can and does corrupt it. hence vincent/van-son.

when mark hateley played for ac milan in the 80's he was known over there as attila. most journos in this country thought it was because he was an ugly bastard with long hair but it was simply because the italians mispronounced hateley.

paulo wanchope once admitted that his name should be pronounced wan-chop-ay but he just shrugged his shoulders & said he didn't mind it being mispronounced over here. berbatov should be pronounced ber-bar-tov but he doesn't seem to mind everybody anglicising the pronunciation either.

the real pisser is not when names are pronounced in an anglicised version but when they are completely mispronounced like the stadium announcer at coms who pronounced corluka as korluka every game he played for city. there are plenty of dickhead commentators & pundits who pronounce krancjar as krankyar. (phil thompson is a serial offender but there are plenty of others). frank lampard has at least once on tv referred to his team mate bosingwa as boss-swinger.

and while i'm on a roll, greek teams aek athens & paok salonica are routinely mispronounced on our tv & radio. aek is pronounced ah-eck not a-e-k. similarly paok is pronounced pah-ok not p-a-o-k.

i'm going for a lie down now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.