Var debate 2019/20

13 cm is based on players running on to a pass at top speed. Most offsides aren’t like that. They’re more often players stepping ahead of their marker from almost standing starts. If they introduce a 13 cm tolerance goals will be allowed which will look completely ridiculous.
The trouble is ours are often on the break with the players running fast,do we have to accept that we are going to have loads of goals ruled out or do they have to find a way to make decisions within the VAR limits that is fair for everyone? what we do know is that the VAR they are using can't be accurate to say 2.5cm is offside

Exactly, just like rugby union - "Silva has gone down under challenge in the area; I didn't see anything, but was there a foul, penalty or no penalty"?
VAR "the defender stood on his foot, penalty".
Not difficult is it.

And have every **** watching on tv and in the stands hear it.

The trouble is ours are often on the break with the players running fast,do we have to accept that we are going to have loads of goals ruled out or do they have to find a way to make decisions within the VAR limits that is fair for everyone? what we do know is that the VAR they are using can't be accurate to say 2.5cm is offside
If they apply a margin of error of 13cm+ it would almost eliminate offsides at set pieces. Defenders would be at such a disadvantage that they just wouldn’t be able to play an offside line. That might actually be a good thing but it should be an intentional change, not a consequence of VAR.

Rather than just basing any tolerance on the hypothetical case of a Sane or Sterling running at full speed, they need to analyse a typical sample of offside decisions, calculate the average speed that the attacking player is running and use that as a starting point. Perhaps add a couple of cm to encourage attacking play. Whatever they come up will not be 100% accurate in all cases it just needs to be right more often than not.

Interesting vid. Yep only the Australian league but a bit of an insight into how it works.
Can't say it'll catch on here though.

Brilliant but could you imagine the brain dead idiot refs we have here.
We need top quality foreign referees of the required standard not these balloons

Brilliant but could you imagine the brain dead idiot refs we have here.
We need top quality foreign referees of the required standard not these balloons
I'm sure this ref featured is coming to the championship next season.
If the foreign refs came over here it'd be like watching the champions league every week, we'd probably get the Turkish ref from the spurs match shrugging his shoulders and looking clueless .

If they apply a margin of error of 13cm+ it would almost eliminate offsides at set pieces. Defenders would be at such a disadvantage that they just wouldn’t be able to play an offside line. That might actually be a good thing but it should be an intentional change, not a consequence of VAR.

Rather than just basing any tolerance on the hypothetical case of a Sane or Sterling running at full speed, they need to analyse a typical sample of offside decisions, calculate the average speed that the attacking player is running and use that as a starting point. Perhaps add a couple of cm to encourage attacking play. Whatever they come up will not be 100% accurate in all cases it just needs to be right more often than not.
So long as we are not going to be in a situation where we are disadvantaged because we have speedy players then i would expect some margin of error,it needs to be worked out much better than it has been,you would think they would have worked it out properly before going ahead with it,i would also like an independent body to audit the whole system,i just don't trust PIGMOL as far as i can throw them

The introduction of a margin of error need not be static- it could be determined from the video footage the rate of acceleration of the player, and its not particularly difficult to determine a pattern of acceleration for each player (and a top speed) based on previously held footage.

In its current form VAR is a lazy implementation.

Suspend VAR until decisions are as instant as goal line tech. My software developer son tells me the tech is there - just needs a bit of adaptation. Alternatively, require VAR refs to do what the cricket equivalents have to do - i.e. provide a live running commentary on what they're seeing to justify their decision.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.