VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

VAR is designed to add drama and storylines… to make the PL go down to the last day where possible, for the drama of the as it stands league table brought up during the televised games on the final day. Imagine a final day where relegation has been decided, league winners have been decided and the top four has been decided. The amount of advertising revenue lost (especially overseas) would be huge, as no arm chair fans are watching that.

Yesterday is an example of this is play. A Coventry vs City final would have no where near the international pull for TV audiences as a Manchester derby final does.

Money talks, and money breeds corruption. Unfortunately it seems the PL haven’t informed most of the clubs they are now effectively in a WWE style sport.

Except since VAR Man City have pretty much had the titled wrapped up most seasons, only Liverpool winning once in the last 6 years.

Prior VAR we had Chelsea, Leicester, Man City twice and Man Utd winning the title often coming down to a nail biting run in finish.

Except since VAR Man City have pretty much had the titled wrapped up most seasons, only Liverpool winning once in the last 6 years.

Prior VAR we had Chelsea, Leicester, Man City twice and Man Utd winning the title often coming down to a nail biting run in finish.

We haven’t had it wrapped up with run away leads though, it has been kept close.

But it doesn’t matter who wins it for the PL, the drama that comes with the title run in, the relegation deciders etc. They can’t sell the product if it doesn’t have an exciting climax.

we've had more VAR decisions go against us than most clubs, stats for that. sure it's heart-breaking and gutting when you feel hard done by - but for me, i take more comfort knowing a goal is being correctly awarded - of course, when it's not correctly awarded then yes, its infuriating and understandable to be outraged albeit every clubs screams corruption which gets tedious. VAR will never be flawless, that's the major problem.

As for celebrating the same, i'd say i do really - you can see that in the stands every PL ground when a goal goes in. sometimes i have a seed of doubt if i think could be an offside or foul in lead up - as a positive it's a bigger relief when given and less suprising if ruled out.
I’m not talking about a random VAR decision going against you. Every club has had those. I mean celebrating an unbelievably important goal like your life depended on it as we did that night, only to have it taken away several minutes later.

And it wasn’t even one of those that you immediately thought there might be something iffy about it. Looked nothing wrong with it in real time.

I’m sure part of me died that night

We could’ve had the automatic offside system but the FA/PL wanted to stick with the easier to manipulate etch-a-sketch system.

Bear in mind the PL is the clubs themselves. Reason they didn’t implement or vote on it though was because of the Nike balls they use, they needed this season to test it.

Which is fine. We’re in uncharted waters now though and I don’t know what the maximum punishment could be for them. It’d be ironic if it was enough points to keep Luton up…
Why should Forest put up with it? It's either incompetence or corruption. You seem to think that clubs should just continually roll over , politely complain and accept a PGMOL apology the useless incompetent or corrupt official, either way it's the same result , then gets suspended for a game and then we all carry on in the same vein. Rinse repeat. I don't think PHMOL are good enough to be in charge of a multi billion pound business. Unless people make a stand against things that are clearly wrong nothing ever gets changed in any walk of life. I just wish City and other clubs would call this crap officiating out.

I’m not talking about a random VAR decision going against you. Every club has had those. I mean celebrating an unbelievably important goal like your life depended on it as we did that night, only to have it taken away several minutes later.

And it wasn’t even one of those that you immediately thought there might be something iffy about it. Looked nothing wrong with it in real time.

I’m sure part of me died that night

Yes I’ve had that with and without VAR. It’s part of the game.

So you celebrate each and every goal in the same way as you did pre-VAR? No holding back? Maybe you need a moment like we had against Spurs in the Champions League to understand how that feels.

I’ll never forget that feeling, absolutely hated it.

The flip side to it though is people need to be far more forgiving of referees when they do make mistakes and that ship I think has already sailed.

Why should Forest put up with it? It's either incompetence or corruption. You seem to think that clubs should just continually roll over , politely complain and accept a PGMOL apology the useless incompetent or corrupt official, either way it's the same result , then gets suspended for a game and then we all carry on in the same vein. Rinse repeat. I don't think PHMOL are good enough to be in charge of a multi billion pound business. Unless people make a stand against things that are clearly wrong nothing ever gets changed in any walk of life. I just wish City and other clubs would call this crap officiating out.

They could have kept it private given their accusation, they openly accused the VAR official of bias and that’s always going to be challenged.

If they’d have said he was incompetent, then there wouldn’t have been an issue.

It doesn't matter what we think or what we say. The Premier League are not interested in Blue Mists views but, if they cannot see the damage Var is doing to the best league in the world they are blind.
Forest have directly called out a Var official. Liverpool demanded a replay after a Var fuck up, Wolves have also publicly attacked the officials.
It is destroying the game, its nearly always the main topic of conversation in the media and on fans sites.
It is a bad joke.

We haven’t had it wrapped up with run away leads though, it has been kept close.

But it doesn’t matter who wins it for the PL, the drama that comes with the title run in, the relegation deciders etc. They can’t sell the product if it doesn’t have an exciting climax.

The PL was as big as it gets around the world prior VAR - the Agueroooo moment ? How can that ever be topped. It’s by its nature that the PL attracts the best players in the world and thus we have many great teams battling the title , Europe and relegation. They didn’t need to bring in VAR to add to ‘the product’ and also VAR was already introduced to many countries before England - sooner or later we had to accept and it’s supposedly killing the game - so how does it make sense to say it’s all for the excitement?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.