VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

How do you define a margin of error and come up with a workable handball rule.
One of the problems with the handball rule is that the consequences of a handball decision, i.e. a penalty, are too great in most instances. If the rules were that any defensive handball in the box is a direct free-kick unless deliberate, in which case a penalty then I don’t think we’d have anywhere near the number of issues. Obviously deciding what is deliberate or not is difficult but surely that is better than the shambles we have now where nobody knows what counts as handball or not?

One of the problems with the handball rule is that the consequences of a handball decision, i.e. a penalty, are too great in most instances. If the rules were that any defensive handball in the box is a direct free-kick unless deliberate, in which case a penalty then I don’t think we’d have anywhere near the number of issues. Obviously deciding what is deliberate or not is difficult but surely that is better than the shambles we have now where nobody knows what counts as handball or not?

That's the problem the deliberate bit, it's the essence of why the law never works.

Indirect free kicks! Its the answer they will come to hopefully.

We used to do it, for exactly that situation (I think anyway) where a penalty is too harsh for the foul.

PMGOL trying to keep the recordings of their VAR conversations as secret as possible. What are they affraid of?
VAR: Fuck me United have bottled it.

Assistant: Lee Dixon reckons it was offside.

Ref: I've given goal.

Lino: Nowt wrong here.

VAR: Hang on...Howard says it is. Better have a look.

Ref: Fuck sake...Yes Bruno...Go away...Harry we're looking at it...

Assistant: We're live on ITV, better get the lines out. Erm...Shit....He's deffo on...

VAR: Move the frame back. He's off. Rob mate - No Goal!

Ref: Ok...

Naked Mole Rat: This Is Man United Ref!

Ref: I know mate. *Whistles* No Goal - Offside!

Maguire: Cheers ref. We got away with this. Should do them on Pens.

VAR: Thank's Rob...Howard Just text. He's invited us to meet Sir Alex in his box on cup final day.

Assistant: Nice...Wait...Is this still recording?

Indirect free kicks! Its the answer they will come to hopefully.

We used to do it, for exactly that situation (I think anyway) where a penalty is too harsh for the foul.

Highly doubt that will ever gain traction.

One of the reasons FIFA cited for the 6 second goalkeeper rule never being enforced was that referees would try and avoid the chaos of managing a free kick in the penalty area.

Back in the days when you did occasionally see one, they’d invariably lead to nothing after spending an age trying to get everyone back 10 yards or on the goal line.

VAR: Fuck me United have bottled it.

Assistant: Lee Dixon reckons it was offside.

Ref: I've given goal.

Lino: Nowt wrong here.

VAR: Hang on...Howard says it is. Better have a look.

Ref: Fuck sake...Yes Bruno...Go away...Harry we're looking at it...

Assistant: We're live on ITV, better get the lines out. Erm...Shit....He's deffo on...

VAR: Move the frame back. He's off. Rob mate - No Goal!

Ref: Ok...

Naked Mole Rat: This Is Man United Ref!

Ref: I know mate. *Whistles* No Goal - Offside!

Maguire: Cheers ref. We got away with this. Should do them on Pens.

VAR: Thank's Rob...Howard Just text. He's invited us to meet Sir Alex in his box on cup final day.

Assistant: Nice...Wait...Is this still recording?
I thought they weren’t going to release the audio?

Highly doubt that will ever gain traction.

One of the reasons FIFA cited for the 6 second goalkeeper rule never being enforced was that referees would try and avoid the chaos of managing a free kick in the penalty area.

Back in the days when you did occasionally see one, they’d invariably lead to nothing after spending an age trying to get everyone back 10 yards or on the goal line.
I beg to differ. I have seen soooo many instances where its a weak weak penalty claim, but technically they have to give it. They are much better being free kicks in the box The ref has a get out clause, for those situations instead of the binary Yes or No (Because sometimes it isnt clear).

This isnt anything like the 6 secs rule, this is an extra choice, not something to manage.

i agree it wont be taken up, but I do hope so because it seems the right answer.

I beg to differ. I have seen soooo many instances where its a weak weak penalty claim, but technically they have to give it. They are much better being free kicks in the box The ref has a get out clause, for those situations instead of the binary Yes or No (Because sometimes it isnt clear).

This isnt anything like the 6 secs rule, this is an extra choice, not something to manage.

i agree it wont be taken up, but I do hope so because it seems the right answer.

a weak penalty claim for you is a 100% nailed on penalty for someone else especially as football fans tend to be so tribal and see everything through their own teams specs on. I like the idea but i don't think it would calm the angry outraged mob down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.