Vat on Independent school fees?

except for the university of Buckingham, all university are not for profit organisations.
all profits are reinvested in the university

that makes the rest of your post horseshit
Yep. I'm doing a masters at Manchester Uni right now. There was no VAT on my tuition fees. And that's because obviously the government would like to encourage people to spend money on education, because it's generally a social benefit.

Whether private schools are a social benefit is another question.

It doesn’t make it a luxury good.
It's sort of irrelevant anyway. Things aren't zero-rated because they're "essential" items. Aircraft are zero rated. Gambling is zero-rated. Meanwhile electricity, mobility aids and sanitary items are rated at 5%. Prams are 20%. Stationary is 20%.

Private schools are zero-rated because education is zero-rated, not because they're "not a luxury." They absolutely are a luxury, just like private health insurance, in my opinion (which is also zero-rated).

Why is that a wow?

Do these schools pay much attention to technical education already, even though the kids are boarding and spending the majority of their time on site? Wouldn't woodwork, or other entry level technical classes be a productive thing to do in evenings or the weekend?

Or do they spend a disproportionate amount on sport compared to the relative prospects of them becoming professional sports people or coaches?

Eton still insists on playing two archaic forms of football.

I'd bet even successful plumbers who can afford to send their kids to private schools don't want their kids to be plumbers.

Last edited:
No amount of private schooling is going to shape a child if the aptitude and diligence isn't there to begin with.

Most parents choose the private route so they have a trophy child to show off to the Joneses.
I completely agree with the first sentence but not the second. I'm sure most parents choose the private route because it provides the environment for their children to flourish and achieve the best that they are capable of.

You can’t see why one education policy which costs taxpayers billions a year is relevant to an education policy proposal which is highly controversial and would raise only a couple of billion a year?
It's one of the least controversial Labour policies around.

It only appears marginally controversial because so many in the media and politics, who are commenting on it, went to, or have kids at private school.

The vast majority of the population have almost no sympathy at all for the families affected.

1711542662634.png

Those figures will be distorted by elite private schools such as Eton who charge £50k per year for day fees.

Mine went to an all girls school. Withington charge £15k these days.
Similar to mine. A bit less in the lower years and a bit more as they got older. My youngest is currently in her final year of 6th form and it is about £17,000. If I remember correctly, 1st year of secondary was about £13000. Primary quite a bit less.

It's one of the least controversial Labour policies around.

It only appears marginally controversial because so many in the media and politics, who are commenting on it, went to, or have kids at private school.

The vast majority of the population have almost no sympathy at all for the families affected.

View attachment 111834

The main issue of course is that the families that will be most affected by it are the ones that are most deserving of sympathy. The people who never have a holiday and drive a shitty old car so they can send their kids to private school instead. The actual elite won't give much of a shit about a 20% increase in costs. Hell, it might even help keep some of the riff-raff out.

The main issue of course is that the families that will be most affected by it are the ones that are most deserving of sympathy. The people who never have a holiday and drive a shitty old car so they can send their kids to private school instead. The actual elite won't give much of a shit about a 20% increase in costs. Hell, it might even help keep some of the riff-raff out.
Exactly. It won't make much difference to the very wealthy but it will to those that can only send their children to private school by making sacrifices in other areas of their lives.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.