Venice

Harry's Bar
16 euros for a Bellini.
I did it, so should you.
It's only money.

Peggy Gugenheim museum - a fantastic museum of modern art.
Try visiting a few cicchetti bars. Great value and it's how Venetians spend the early evening.
Murano and Burano - one of them is the glass making place. It's boring and an utter waste of time. The other one is very pretty and worth a visit.
La Fenice if you like opera.
I found the Doge's palace disappointing.
You must wander round the ghetto and the Rialto market too. The shellfish are still wriggling.
There are several wine shops that will fill a large water bottle with good quality red or white wine for 3 euros.

Really though just wander around. You will get lost, it's half the fun. But it is a very safe place to wander around at night.

Enjoy it.
I go every December for 4/5 days and never tire of it or run out of new things to do.

Check when high tide is, we had to wade through 2ft of freezing water to get to the bus station to get back to the airport, water was that high none of the boats could run as they couldnt get under the bridges.

if you go you must forget how much things cost. do the gondola and have a coffee in st marks sq. both are must do's.
Cheers, I'd thought that after seeing how much the gondola's cost. Suppose it's a once in a lifetime trip, so may as well splash out!

Went last May,boat taxis best way to get round and keep your bearings.Some good places to eat....I took the wife to see Venetias ground(it was her birthday after all)and there was a nice restaurant close by that was local prices.Nice park there if you want to get away from the crowds too.Even better they might be at home your week.
Surprisingly enough, I've looked at that! I always go and see the local ground when on trips, went to the Fortuna Dusseldorf ground after 'Gladbach in September.

Check when high tide is, we had to wade through 2ft of freezing water to get to the bus station to get back to the airport, water was that high none of the boats could run as they couldnt get under the bridges.

Why didn't you use the raised walkways they provide?
It leaves you with a tortuous route sometimes but your feet stay dry.

two for the price of one! - another college field (canal) trip looking at buildings.

beautiful place - the first time I had a calzone pizza as I couldn't read/understand the menu. I got a bloody cornish pasty!

we got sooooo lost every night trying to find where we were staying pissed. It took hours.

One night two of us stumbled into a small courtyard and some bloke at the upstairs window ranted and pointed a shotgun at us.

several people took the "swim across the grand canal" challenge

The notts uni history of art students were an interesting addition to the hotel for the last couple of nights...allegedly.

Suprised nobody has mentioned that Prosecco is very cheap in Venice as it is made nearby. It cost 3 euros a glass when I was there 2 years ago, even on hotels.
Bill is right about having coffee in St Marks Square being a must, just do not order anything to eat unless your lottery ticket comes up before you go.
The Water Buses, Vaporettos, are brilliant, either an all day or 3 day pass. Travelling on them is an experience. Download a Vaporetto route map
Eating out can be relatively inexpensive if you avoid restaurants overlooking a canal, particularly the Grand Canal. Suggest you have a look on trip adviser for best value restaurants, which are usually off the main drag.
Buy a good map. Most show the places of interest. Even with a map you will get lost but then everyone does it is part of the Venice experience. It's amazing what you come across in the back streets and squares and how quite it is off the main routes.
Venice does not currently smell.
I enjoyed looking round the Basilica in St Marks Square, which is spectacular inside with it's gold ceiling.
Definitely do the Gonadolas, you will always regret it if you do not and the wife will never let you forget it, ever.
I love Venice, hope you have a great time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.