Video Game Masterpieces

foetus

It seems all the hyped up games these days get reviews of 9-9.5 after only a few hours of playing them. Then after a few weeks all the hype dies down and people realise the game is more so a 6/10, not a 9.5. It's all become a bit too predictable.

I was thinking back to all my favourite games I've played over the years to decide which ones could be described as (almost) perfect. My favourite games from when I was a kid until now include:

N64
-Mario Kart
-Super Smash Bros
-Golden Eye

PS2
-Gta (3, vice city, san andreas)
-The Warriors
-Star Wars Battlefront 2
-ESPN Football 2K4

Xbox 360
-GtaV
-Red Dead Redemption
-Portal 2
-Skate 2 & 3

PS4
The Last of Us (Remastered) is probably the best game I've played on it so far.

In terms of games which can be described as near perfect and executed brilliantly (imo) are the various GTA's listed, Portal 2 and Golden Eye. Anyone got any other games they consider to be a masterpiece?

The mass effect series as a whole is pretty incredible despite a relatively (to the rest of the games awesomeness) weak ending.

Also the Witcher 3 I would consider a masterpiece in terms of storytelling and immersing you in the world. It's so good that you forgive it its few problems like the odd glitch here and there.

Mario kart, super mario world, f zero, vice city, fallout3/4, royal rumble, tekken 2, wipeout, gears of war, halo, doom, burnout, goldeneye, mario 64, donkey kong country. Could probably go on for ages!

The mass effect series as a whole is pretty incredible despite a relatively (to the rest of the games awesomeness) weak ending.

Also the Witcher 3 I would consider a masterpiece in terms of storytelling and immersing you in the world. It's so good that you forgive it its few problems like the odd glitch here and there.

Great choices (probably my favourite 2 modern game series as well).
I would add to that Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the original Dragon Age (Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening) but not DA 2 or DA:I which were both a let down.

In terms of classics from further back: Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Golden Eye (on N64), Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter, Homeworld and the Baldurs Gate series. I'll also be cheeky and put Ultima Online in there as well, the first and best MMO ever.

I wish GOG could get hold of the Myth series (not to be confused with Myst, which is a completely different type of game). I'll never forget the gravelly voiced narrator at the start of each mission and the cold, emotionless voice saying "Casualty" as your units gor wiped out. One of the best and most underrated games ever in my opinion. A real gem but apparently the rights to it are lost in some sort of corporate purgatory.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.