"Vincent Kompany and FA inconsistencies" on the blog

I'd like to throw my thoughts in, did Chris Foy actually have a clear view of Kompany's tackle, you can review it here from about 1:10 I suggest not looking at this clip, and once again it was not just Rooney, look at carricks view and reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPGdK_gfHU

Serious questions need to be asked and answered

deckoblue said:
The Pink Panther said:
I agree in principal with the article, however if Rooney points out to the ref that Kompany used two feet, Rooney is correct in that it is the ref that makes the decision and sends the player off.
When Balotelli was brought down at the swamp, a number of City players pointed out to Clattenburg that Mario was through on goal. I didn't hear any complaints that day

Wayne Rooney should not be making decisions for the ref.
Nor should he or any player be allowed to influence a refs decision.
If thats the case ,then the players should just ref it theirselves like kids on the park.

If the ref is so weak that he is influenced by a player appealing then there's something wrong with the ref
As I said, no one complained about our players pointing out to Clattenburg that Mario was through on goal

Bluekiwi said:
pauldominic said:
Chippy_boy said:
I am not.

He says he has no problem with Johnson's tackle on Lescott. Clearly that is daft. By any interpretation of that challenge, it was a red card offense. To quote from the very article:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Serious foul play = red card.

He *clearly* endangered the safetly of an opponent in that had he been 10 milliseconds late he would have almost certainly injured Lescott and probably broken his leg, such was the speed and totally out of control nature of the challenge. You really cannot argue otherwise when a guy is flying in at full pelt, in the air with both feet off the ground like that.

OK so was Lescott hurt? No. Was his safety endangered? Damned right it was. In fact he was extremely lucky not to have been seriously injured.

To be honest I don't think Johnson or Kompany should have been sent off.

I have to go back to the Buchan tackle on Bell which ended his career. Why didn't Buchan get sent off that night?

That was serious foul play on a monumental scale.
That was the night that I started to really hate the scumbags

Me too. Everyone around me winced at the violence and it was obvious that he was seriously injured.

By watching the clip you will also notice Foy change direction of his run, as city win the ball and play it out, its all in the body language, movement etc. I am adamant he did not have a clear view of the incident.

On the subject of 2 footed tackles

I was at my local refs meeting last night, and as a city fan, queried the law regarding 2 footed challenges/automatic red card etc

While the law does not specifically say 'a 2 footed challenge = a red card' in all circumstances, in this day and age a ref will, 100% of the time, award a red card for a two footed challenge, assuming he sees it (Mr Mason)

The general idea is that a 2 footed challenge is inherently dangerous and unecessarily aggresive as a method to win the ball back which puts the opponant in much greater danger of being injured than a 'normal' tackle, following the laws of the game, earns you a red card.

Every one of the 30 refs present at the meeting (including me) agreed that the tackle, and Johnsons, were red card offences.

Up until 2 years ago, there was a line in the laws that if the ball was won cleanly, no foul could be awarded, but this has since been removed, this I think is where we've gone wrong. By removing this line I believe the powers that be are in the process of outlawing hard tackling from the game, it's a shame as a good hard tackle can get the crowd worked up more so than an attempt on goal.

My opinion on this matter, I disagree with the laws of the game as they currently exist, they're too 'soft' for the game, however as refs, we have no choice but to award a red card for such tackles, or ourselves face demotion etc.

eshiers1 said:

I was at my local refs meeting last night, and as a city fan, queried the law regarding 2 footed challenges/automatic red card etc

While the law does not specifically say 'a 2 footed challenge = a red card' in all circumstances, in this day and age a ref will, 100% of the time, award a red card for a two footed challenge, assuming he sees it (Mr Mason)

The general idea is that a 2 footed challenge is inherently dangerous and unecessarily aggresive as a method to win the ball back which puts the opponant in much greater danger of being injured than a 'normal' tackle, following the laws of the game, earns you a red card.

Every one of the 30 refs present at the meeting (including me) agreed that the tackle, and Johnsons, were red card offences.

Up until 2 years ago, there was a line in the laws that if the ball was won cleanly, no foul could be awarded, but this has since been removed, this I think is where we've gone wrong. By removing this line I believe the powers that be are in the process of outlawing hard tackling from the game, it's a shame as a good hard tackle can get the crowd worked up more so than an attempt on goal.

My opinion on this matter, I disagree with the laws of the game as they currently exist, they're too 'soft' for the game, however as refs, we have no choice but to award a red card for such tackles, or ourselves face demotion etc.

This is OK if for all and why we should be asking the FA to look at the Refs performance against liverpool.

jonmcity said:
eshiers1 said:

This is OK if for all and why we should be asking the FA to look at the Refs performance against liverpool.

exactly, I'm sure mason didn't see it clearly, otherwise he would have sent him off which gives the FA grounds the charge him, however the deadline to do that has past so looks like he'll get away with it

I think the only thing the fans/players/managers want is some level of consistency ref to ref, without that you're playing russian roulette on the football pitch!

While the law does not specifically say 'a 2 footed challenge = a red card' in all circumstances, in this day and age a ref will, 100% of the time, award a red card for a two footed challenge, assuming he sees it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The moment ball is played forward, position or Foy, Position of Carrick, Foy runnining direction.

2 players blocking Foys Clear view

As city move the ball out, foy in the motion of turning with play, check his legs, Rooney all of a flap.

The walk of shame by Foy, being screamed at in his ear by Carrick, who has run from his own end, watch the clip.

baldmosher said:
Not at all because Kompany was entirely in control of his tackle and knew he would get the ball before Nani. He took it with his instep. Nani knew Kompany would get the ball first which is why he pulled back and spun around to chase it. There was absolutely no contact with the player.

Johnson's was as bad as Taylor on Eduardo except Eduardo was a bit too quick for him.

Problem with your logic is that according to the letter of the law, both were equally serious offences. So what Kompany or Johnson thought, no idea how you can read peoples minds, is irrelevant.

Were they worthy of red cards? Not so much.

The problem is not the rule, the problem is the varying levels of refereeing. If the intention is two do away with two footed tackles with leading studs, the refs have to be consistent.

Do I think two footed tackles are dangerous? Yes. Should they be banished from the game? Probably. Not sure a broken leg is worth some idiots in the stands getting a boner from a violent tackle.

If someone tackled Silva, and Silva got ruled out for a year, the way Kompany or Johnson tackled, I am pretty sure your tune would be different.

-- Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:54 pm --

sh249 said:
Very good read.

Personally, I think you can go further in stating the differences between Rooney's and Mancini's respective conduct. As far as I could tell - and happy to be corrected on this - Mancini waved the imaginary card AFTER it became clear that Skrtel wasn't getting a red - i.e. in protest at the decision not to send him off (born of the frustration of having just seen Barry sent off for a nothing challenge - though that's no mitigation). There is simply no comparing this to a player, during the game, actively looking to influence a decision prior to it being taken.

A point which that second scouse **** Gerrard seems to have missed as well in his inane ramblings about Mancini last night.

Makes a lot of sense to wave an imaginary card after the fact. Or maybe not...

He waved his hand and apologized after. End of story. Will he do it again? Who knows? Will Rooney try and influence the ref again? Likely. Do we have players in our team who try and influence the ref? Absolutely.

The lack of perspective on our own teams actions is appalling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.