Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought Mangala looked good yesterday however if he is off to Inter then i'd prefer VVD over others.

Mangala's defending looked good & strong and his positioning looked much better but his distribution looked woeful and that's what Pep will have been watching.

IMO we don't need to spend this amount on a Cb just to cover Vinnie. The way I see it is that the way we play is very risky, which I like as it beats watching turgid long ball, park the bus and counter attack tactics like the Rags play. we could buy the best centre back ever and we would still get exposed on occasions so it's all about risk remediation cost be benefits, would spending 70mil provide that much in benefits? I am not sure. For this system to work, it needs players to put a shift in 1st and foremost, win the ball back quickly and don't allow time for us to be exposed. This is what has taken Pep a season to get installed in the team as it is proactive and not passive like previous managers tactics - mindset change for the players is always the hardest thing to implement

IMO we don't need to spend this amount on a Cb just to cover Vinnie. The way I see it is that the way we play is very risky, which I like as it beats watching turgid long ball, park the bus and counter attack tactics like the Rags play. we could buy the best centre back ever and we would still get exposed on occasions so it's all about risk remediation cost be benefits, would spending 70mil provide that much in benefits? I am not sure. For this system to work, it needs players to put a shift in 1st and foremost, win the ball back quickly and don't allow time for us to be exposed. This is what has taken Pep a season to get installed in the team as it is proactive and not passive like previous managers tactics - mindset change for the players is always the hardest thing to implement

The risk with the way we set up last year was our propensity to lose possession high up the pitch with both full backs over committed. This left Stones and Ottamendi seriously exposed and the results were not pretty. On Saturday it was noticeable that Walker recovered very quickly when we lost possession and together with the back three we looked less committed and less exposed when we gave possession away. You could argue on Saturday we were too conservative and could have gone with two CBs and had the extra man in midfield. whilst in this system we may not need the complete centre back we do need and ability to read the game and genuine pace - the two elements that are expensive.

When we played Brighton ..kompany got caught a couple times on the counter and couldn't keep up to get back. That happens against a better team with better wingers etc ..it probably ends with a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.