Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of paying £50-£60 million for him doesn't really sit well with me, glad we missed out

I'm not. Good centre backs don't grow on trees, and particularly not ones that tick as many boxes as VVD. Tall, powerful, athletic, comfortable in possession, and only 25 years old. I'll be gutted if this is true and he's off to the candle wavers. As things stand we are an injury to Kompany away again from being as weak as piss at centre half. Kompany showed in those last few games of the season just how far above our other central defenders he is at.....drumroll......defending. Virtually every team in English football has a 6ft 3' lummox up front at their disposal. Llorente, Giroud, Vokes, Benteke, Lukaku, Ibrashitovic, King, Rondon, Kane, Wellshit, Carroll, Mbokani, Okaka, Arnautovic, Wickham, the list goes on and on and on. It didn't happen in every game, but far too often they were able to give their sides a platform, to act as a pressure valve (particularly at the Etihad) and facilitate the parked bus in the process, to win everything in the air, to tempt Kolarov, Stones and especially Otamendi into trying to dive in, in front of them to nick the ball away, knowing they would be able to then roll those City defenders, and on occasion (and off the top of my head Wickham, Wellbeck, Lukaku, King and Costa all did this too easily) to shrug off or walk through weak City challenges.
None of those fuckers got any change out of Kompany whatsoever when he regained fitness, and VVD represented an opportunity to enhance that physical aspect without any reduction in attacking function. I'm mystified that there are some on here who don't even regard centre half as a priority. I might share that view myself had Kompers not spent the better part of 3 seasons on the treatment table, but the reality is that he has and undoubtedly will again.

Seeing as it looks like we are going to miss out on VVD who else is available for us? I can think of Marquinhos, not the tallest lad but seems alright in the air and is still very young only just turned 23. I think he would be one of the best options for us but PSG may be very reluctant to sell. We'll see what Pep and Txiki has planned I guess

You can't make a player go anywhere if he doesn't want to,maybe he can be a starter there and feels he will be back up for vinny here
I think VVD and Kompany would be our first choice CBs if we signed him with Stones/Otamendi as the backups.

Plan B ?

o-PHIL-JONES-FACES-facebook.jpg

It is a lot of money especially for a centre half recovering from serious injury and whose best form has been in partnership with Fonte. Since Fonte left, he's been injured.

Dippers been through this before with Lovren. He seems a better player than Lovren but as we've seen with Otta, it's amazing how centre half form can fluctuate depending on who you're playing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.