Voluntary Redundancy

Bluemanc100

So, the account I've managed for the last ~7 years has been moved to the mainland European team in our business. They have moved the account to "save on travel costs" as the new account manager is in Cologne and I am in the UK. This a pretty weak excuse for me as my travel costs to Amsterdam, maybe once a quarter were pitiful and this is more about Brexit than anything else I believe.

Anyway, I have potentially got some new customers to support under the "British" team I was always part of on paper. Yesterday I was part of a call with HR where they explained that because of the loss of my account, the team (of 3) has to shrink to 2 and therefore they will offer voluntary redundancy to all of us with the aim of selecting one candidate.

It would suit me to leave because of my wife's condition and the fact that I already have an RAF pension and Sue gets her NHS pension at the end of April. The other two candidates are very unlikely to apply so I am pretty sure I'll be selected once my application goes in. I have a personal financial forecast coming from HR tomorrow

My main question is what sort of offer am I likely to get after 14 years service or is there any advice based on the personal experiences of the BM faithful?

So, the account I've managed for the last ~7 years has been moved to the mainland European team in our business. They have moved the account to "save on travel costs" as the new account manager is in Cologne and I am in the UK. This a pretty weak excuse for me as my travel costs to Amsterdam, maybe once a quarter were pitiful and this is more about Brexit than anything else I believe.

Anyway, I have potentially got some new customers to support under the "British" team I was always part of on paper. Yesterday I was part of a call with HR where they explained that because of the loss of my account, the team (of 3) has to shrink to 2 and therefore they will offer voluntary redundancy to all of us with the aim of selecting one candidate.

It would suit me to leave because of my wife's condition and the fact that I already have an RAF pension and Sue gets her NHS pension at the end of April. The other two candidates are very unlikely to apply so I am pretty sure I'll be selected once my application goes in. I have a personal financial forecast coming from HR tomorrow

My main question is what sort of offer am I likely to get after 14 years service or is there any advice based on the personal experiences of the BM faithful?
No one can second guess that as its voluntary they can offer what they want you can decline or accept.

Check what your statutory minimum should be then ask for double.
I think it's a week and a half for every completed year. If they want you out straight away then you'll want pay in lieu of notice. Plus pay for any holidays not taken.
But screw them if possible is my advice.

No one can second guess that as its voluntary they can offer what they want you can decline or accept.

And to give an example of that, a colleague in my current business had 23 years service and similar salary to mine which i had in a previous business. I also had 23 years service and was made redundant in 2018. His package was a 3rd of what I got.

When my prior employer was shutting down the operation i was involved in the standard offer was 3 weeks for every year capped at 80 weeks. I think you get it tax free (check that as that is a big factor). They did try to drop it to 2 weeks for every year but i left (resigned) before that so not sure where it got to. I guess somewhere between the 2 is a decent offer and 3 weeks per year is good.

To be clear the calculations is gross salary (less any allowances such as car etc) / 52 X number of years X the offer in weeks for every year.

I presume you know about the statutory minimum but in case you don't:
https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay
You should get more than that if it's a half decent company.
My company usually offers 3 weeks pay for every year's service up to 26 years, so in your case it would be 42 weeks pay, but I believe most companies offer less.

HR should go through this with you and confirm in writing so ask them.... IIRC the first £35000 will be tax free. If you get a car with the job they may be flexible on arrangements for you taking that over.

Don't forget tho that you might be one of three applying and they will always let the cheapest one go.

The policy on compulsory redundancies will be in your staff handbook / website.

When my prior employer was shutting down the operation i was involved in the standard offer was 3 weeks for every year capped at 80 weeks. I think you get it tax free (check that as that is a big factor). They did try to drop it to 2 weeks for every year but i left (resigned) before that so not sure where it got to. I guess somewhere between the 2 is a decent offer and 3 weeks per year is good.

To be clear the calculations is gross salary (less any allowances such as car etc) / 52 X number of years X the offer in weeks for every year.
The first £30k is tax free unless the rules have changed recently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.