Wales vs Belgium - Euro 2016: Quarterfinal - 01/07/16

I remember watching them in a Euro 2008 qualifier, in a barely quarter full Millennium stadium, getting turned over 5-1 by Slovakia.

Amazing turn around from then to now.

History is written by the winners, so Wales have earned the right to ignore the non-penalty for Belgium and also the non-free kick, which would have resulted in a second yellow card for Ben Davies

However, in contrast to England, the Welsh players have played to their potential, and for whatever reason, just don’t look as frightened of failure.

However, in contrast to England, the Welsh players have played to their potential, and for whatever reason, just don’t look as frightened of failure.

No one expected anything of them so they've not been under any real pressure to perform, with the exception of the England game... when they froze.

The Belgians guilty of the England syndrome , score first and then put your feet up in the misplaced belief you're going to stroll to a 4 goal walkover .By the time you realise its not working out like you thought it would , its too late the Welsh/Icelandics have their tails up , while the English/Belgians have lost their composure and are playing like rabbits caught in the proverbial headlights

Indeed. I think part of the problem is that we seem to be in an era where teams/managers with technically good players seem to think they don't have to worry about the basics of defending. I know I will get shit for saying this but if Pep goes down the road of being more concerned about having defenders who can pass than actually defend, I'm not sure tearing everyone a new one next season is as inevitable as maybe some of us thought.

I think with each new season even the 'ordinary' teams are gonna be hard to beat and you have to come up with something rather special to get the points. It is certainly easier these days to lose points against rather ordinary strikers if you haven't got the kind of watertight defending that, say, Lescott and Kompany gave us. I think we would be delighted to be winning games 4-0 at home and 4-3 away, but last season their were several teams around us who had much stingier defences, and we were often left banging our heads against a brick wall - very similar to the manner England approached Iceland!

The Belgians guilty of the England syndrome , score first and then put your feet up in the misplaced belief you're going to stroll to a 4 goal walkover .By the time you realise its not working out like you thought it would , its too late the Welsh/Icelandics have their tails up , while the English/Belgians have lost their composure and are playing like rabbits caught in the proverbial headlights

Pretty much sums it up. Worthless bunch with a worthless coach.

I remember watching them in a Euro 2008 qualifier, in a barely quarter full Millennium stadium, getting turned over 5-1 by Slovakia.

Amazing turn around from then to now.

yes they were dark days indeed, we had to move our games to the cardiff stadium because some of our attendances were shocking and the millenium looked empty, even though i think we had 30,000 for that slovak game. i think we played holland in our last group match and we only had about 18,000 and the atmosphere was shite.
since we moved to Cardiffs ground the attendances have been pretty good and the atmosphere has been a lot better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.