Wall Street Journal article

PowderBlue said:
Good article. Like the bit about Manchester being a town of modest size - theres only 1 (ok maybe two) bigger in this great nation.

think you will find bham is much bigger

JULES said:
PowderBlue said:
Good article. Like the bit about Manchester being a town of modest size - theres only 1 (ok maybe two) bigger in this great nation.

Misleading. The self-aggrandisement of that West Midlands shithole is a particular bugbear of mine.

Yes, Birmingham's claim to being the second city rests entirely on population but the metropolitan areas of the West Midlands and Greater Manchester have almost identical populations, while what you might call the Manchester conurbation (i.e. taking account of areas not formally within the metropolitan counties) is bigger than Birmingham's. It just happens that the city boundaries of Manchester itself give an area with a smaller population, which is nothing more than a historical accident.

Manchester regularly tops polls for being the second city, is easily England's second city in terms of international recognition and reporting in the interational news media, and in terms of sports, culture, media and general influence, I think we far outstrip Birmingham. It isn't even close.

Dyed Petya said:
JULES said:

Misleading. The self-aggrandisement of that West Midlands shithole is a particular bugbear of mine.

Yes, Birmingham's claim to being the second city rests entirely on population but the metropolitan areas of the West Midlands and Greater Manchester have almost identical populations, while what you might call the Manchester conurbation (i.e. taking account of areas not formally within the metropolitan counties) is bigger than Birmingham's. It just happens that the city boundaries of Manchester itself give an area with a smaller population, which is nothing more than a historical accident.

Manchester regularly tops polls for being the second city, is easily England's second city in terms of international recognition and reporting in the interational news media, and in terms of sports, culture, media and general influence, I think we far outstrip Birmingham. It isn't even close.
sorry mate, I think your a bit wrong on that, I hate bham by the way.
polls do not make a city any bigger, do they?

Manchester is the second most important city in the country. That's all that needs to be said. Populations of the conurbations are about even.

Fairly dismissive of the birthplace, directly or otherwise, of the industrial revolution, the modern computer, communism, organised football, the co-operative movement, the suffragettes etc. Also, if any of my kids turned rag I'd sell the little shit to Madonna

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.