Watford Post Match Thread

Obviously I'm very happy with a 5-0 win but it frustrates me so much in many games we sort of say right we've scored 4/5 goals, that will do,let's take our foot off the gas and take it easy. Be fuckin ruthless City!!!
Sadly the game has move on. I was there when we put 10 past Huddersfield. It was a brilliant feeling when the 10th nestled in the net.

With the number of games and the intensity these days it's more about game/player management. I know it was the last game of the season, but imagine if Silva or Aguero had been busting a gut to score when we were already 5 up, game won and did themselves a serious injury. That would set their pre-season back and possibly compromise their fitness for the start of next season.

Liverpool aren't a superclub, they're a team that were really good 30 years ago.

And we have vastly underachieved this season no matter which way you slice it. You don't appoint Pep Guardiola then expect to finish third, 15 points off the title. He's so highly considered BECAUSE he can achieve success while bedding in.

For a club of our ambition 3rd is a failure.

Mind you, could be worse. Could be 6th.
Don't think his style is a quick fix, especially with such an ageing team. There will be years - even when we have a team to compete with the Barcas etc, when we win nothing. Paradoxically, winning trophies in year one would paper over a few cracks (but I'll have any trophy going). Better to wait for a longer term solution that lasts. As for Liverpool, we'll have to disagree. They've not been a superteam for decades, but they are a superclub. Similar situation to us - albeit on a smaller scale with us - i.e. through the decades of relegations, while we were not a team with many big players - we certainly retained our big club status - primarily because of the huge support two divisions down.

Liverpool are, for example, bigger than Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea will ever be. The beauty of our situation is that the next step for us is to deliver some Champions League success - it's all still to look forward to. We were the tenth biggest club in Europe before the Thaksin days in terms of turnover - based on our commercial success because of the Franny Lee transformation of that side of things. We now have genuine superclub financial performance in our own right - that was Sheikh Mansour's original plan for the longer term. We need to win a Champions League to be regarded as a bona fide superclub and then win it again and again. Atletico haven't won the CL, but they keep coming close and that has elevated them to a sort of superclub level.

Last edited:
Don't think his style is a quick fix, especially with such an ageing team. There will be years - even when we have a team to compete with the Barcas etc, when we win nothing. Paradoxically, winning trophies in year one would paper over a few cracks (but I'll have any trophy going). Better to wait for a longer term solution that lasts. As for Liverpool, we'll have to disagree. They've not been a superteam for decades, but they are a superclub. Similar situation to us - albeit on a smaller scale with us - i.e. through the decades of relegations, while we were not a team with many big players - we certainly retained our big club status - primarily because of the huge support two divisions down.

Liverpool are, for example, bigger than Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea will ever be. The beauty of our situation is that the next step for us is to deliver some Champions League success - it's all still to look forward to. We were the tenth biggest club in Europe before the Thaksin days in terms of turnover - based on our commercial success because of the Franny Lee transformation of that side of things. We now have genuine superclub financial performance in our own right - that was Sheikh Mansour's original plan for the longer term. We need to win a Champions League to be regarded as a bona fide superclub and then win it again and again. Atletico haven't won the CL, but they keep coming close and that has elevated them to a sort of superclub level.
Just hearing the awful news from MEN Arena - puts football banter into perspective. This is hellish news.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.