Wayne Rooney - how good or bad, bias aside?

I wasn't impressed with Rooney tonight.

Apart from the pass for Defoe's second, what did he do?

Tyldsel was creaming himself over that pass, but in that situation anybody would have played the same ball.

He spent much of the game too deep; at times he was further back than Barry.

To me, this shows a player low on confidence and / or thinking he has to be the centre of everything because he doesn't believe his team-mates are good enough to do the job.

I reckon Capello should have played Gerrard behind Defoe, with Milner in the middle and AJ on the left.

Vienna_70 said:
I wasn't impressed with Rooney tonight.

Apart from the pass for Defoe's second, what did he do?

Tyldsel was creaming himself over that pass, but in that situation anybody would have played the same ball.

He spent much of the game too deep; at times he was further back than Barry.

To me, this shows a player low on confidence and / or thinking he has to be the centre of everything because he doesn't believe his team-mates are good enough to do the job.

I reckon Capello should have played Gerrard behind Defoe, with Milner in the middle and AJ on the left.

Absolutely agree. It was a perfect pass but we were 4 against 3 and you'd have to expect him to be able to find the right pass.
I've always hated Rooney but have never been one to dismiss his obvious talent. His England career has been poor at best and his recent performances have been dire.
I thought he was very poor again last night - slightly better in the second half - and I can't believe what i'm seeing this morning. You'd think he won the game on his own from what the press are saying.
I also got the impression that after the first few dead ends and misplaced passes, his team mates were avoiding giving him the ball.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.