WBA/Wolves trouble - are you watching City?

West Brom ran a scheme last week offering STHs a ticket plus 1 for friend or family, there was no checking of who the plus ones were for so by all accounts some were selling these tickets on for inflated prices, maybe to Wolves fans unable to get a ticket in the away end.

After Cunha scored, an undercover Wolves fan outed himself by jumping up and then it kicked off.

Prior to this fans in this section were already lobbing filled water bottles at Tommy Doyle as he was taking corners.

Fans in other stands were running across the pitch to join in.

The official Wolves section was at the opposite end to the trouble and no Wolves fans from this stand got involved.

Has there even been an attempted explanation offered? All I've seen is media labeling it shameful etc when there doesn't appear to be an understanding of what went on. People get chucked out of yhe wrong end all the time, there might be a few digs thrown and anybody willing to go in wrong end and make it known you're an opposition fan can and should expect that. However it doesnt spill over like that, most of the time it doesn't even get noticed by anybody outside of the block it's happening in.

I'm completely guessing here and happy for anybody to correct me but to me, I was getting the impression it was home fans and the police not home and away fans.

Scenario I've imagined is most likely is there were probably wolves fans mouthing off which started it then you probably got police/stewards attempting to throw out home fans too and that's what's started it properly with home fans pushing back against the police to try stop their fans being dragged out. perhaps the police backup with their batons went in heavy handed and that's caused an even bigger retaliation.

I know nothing, I've just made that up as a likely scenario so there's every chance I'm talking out of my arse but it definitely didn't seem to be a simple case of away fans in the wrong end.

As a Yank, the tribal nature of English football is one of its most wonderful attributes and at the same time the cause of a lot of its (violent) problems. Describing going to matches there to non-football friends, they are often mystified/fascinated by the police cordons, the express warrant made on the ticket that you’re a home fan, the places you need to be careful wearing colo(u)rs. It can be like that here but almost never is save for isolated incidents — fans mix inside and outside the stadium, there’s banter but it’s usually good-natured, long-time season-ticket fans roll their eyes at tourists and bear the costs (which I think don’t escalate as fast as they do the UK in my experience) usually without complaining. I love the locals-first nature of most long-time football fans and tell my friends who go over to immerse themselves — learn the fucking songs, go to the pubs beforehand, be respectful and friendly (and tell local fans how excited you are), no half/half scarves, never sit in the home section as an away fan (and if you choose to ignore this warning for fucks sake sit still and say nothing).

So I can see how changes in pursuit of money could risk the heart and soul of the clubs. But know there are those of us from abroad who respect and love the real fans who grew up with these clubs and we know we are borrowing their traditions for our own enjoyment (though for me personally City means far, far more than that).

As a Yank, the tribal nature of English football is one of its most wonderful attributes and at the same time the cause of a lot of its (violent) problems. Describing going to matches there to non-football friends, they are often mystified/fascinated by the police cordons, the express warrant made on the ticket that you’re a home fan, the places you need to be careful wearing colo(u)rs. It can be like that here but almost never is save for isolated incidents — fans mix inside and outside the stadium, there’s banter but it’s usually good-natured, long-time season-ticket fans roll their eyes at tourists and bear the costs (which I think don’t escalate as fast as they do the UK in my experience) usually without complaining. I love the locals-first nature of most long-time football fans and tell my friends who go over to immerse themselves — learn the fucking songs, go to the pubs beforehand, be respectful and friendly (and tell local fans how excited you are), no half/half scarves, never sit in the home section as an away fan (and if you choose to ignore this warning for fucks sake sit still and say nothing).

So I can see how changes in pursuit of money could risk the heart and soul of the clubs. But know there are those of us from abroad who respect and love the real fans who grew up with these clubs and we know we are borrowing their traditions for our own enjoyment (though for me personally City means far, far more than that).
Rag.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.