We Lucky Few

Scaring Europe to Death

After seeing so many familiar faces on the photo for “Halifax Steve’s” Send-Off, and also the sad recognition of at least 6 names on the City Memorial Tribute v Leicester, I’m sure that I’m not alone when reflecting privately on the sense of loss, whilst yearning for the innocence of happier times.

City played at Carlisle in December 1983, and I recall travelling on a mini bus from Whaley Bridge as though it was yesterday. My Mate’s in-laws had a hotel in Penrith and by sheer coincidence, the village was hosting Hull City in the FA Cup.

It was only 10am, but in the days before mobile phones and all-day drinking, we somehow managed to signal to the other cars and minibuses that the hotel bar was closed to the general public until 1pm (unless of course you supported Manchester City and accidentally opened the kitchen door, which for some unfathomable reason had been unlocked)

Most of us were lads in our late teens/early twenties, but for the next three hours we drank and serenaded the greatest football club in the world, before reality kicked-in with an embarrassing 2-0 defeat at Brunton Park.

There were probably only around 70 in the hotel, but we bumped into a few of them after the 0-0 FA Cup Replay at Watford in 1986. City had just won the toss to host the Second Replay, and naturally our name was on the Cup.

It only took another 25 years, but I just hope that everyone who’d travelled to Carlisle and Watford had finally got the chance to see their dreams materialize.

We were young, and it was undoubtedly unhealthy. I should probably have been playing sport rather than watching sport, and 1400 games later my knowledge of train connections and Motorway Service Stations is sadly still superior to my knowledge of DIY

Any regrets?
Nope!

Here’s to you Halifax Steve and all the other blues who passed away too soon.

Last edited:
After seeing so many familiar faces on the photo for “Halifax Steve’s” Send-Off, and also the sad recognition of at least 6 names on the City Memorial Tribute v Leicester, I’m sure that I’m not alone when reflecting privately on the sense of loss, whilst yearning for the innocence of happier times.

City played at Carlisle in December 1983, and I recall travelling on a mini bus from Whaley Bridge as though it was yesterday. My Mate’s in-laws had a hotel in Penrith and by sheer coincidence, the village was hosting York City in the FA Cup.

It was only 10am, but in the days before mobile phones and all-day drinking, we somehow managed to signal to the other cars and minibuses that the hotel bar was closed to the general public until 1pm (unless of course you supported Manchester City and accidentally opened the kitchen door, which for some unfathomable reason had been unlocked)

Most of us were lads in our late teens/early twenties, but for the next three hours we drank and serenaded the greatest football club in the world, before reality kicked-in with an embarrassing 2-0 defeat at Brunton Park.

There were probably only around 70 in the hotel, but we bumped into a few of them after the 0-0 FA Cup Replay at Watford in 1986. City had just won the toss to host the Second Replay, and naturally our name was on the Cup.

It only took another 25 years, but I just hope that everyone who’d travelled to Carlisle and Watford had finally got the chance to see their dreams materialize.

We were young, and it was undoubtedly unhealthy. I should probably have been playing sport rather than watching sport, and 1400 games later my knowledge of train connections and Motorway Service Stations is sadly still superior to my knowledge of DIY

Any regrets?
Nope!

Nice post Scaring. Thanks

Had the privilege of being one of the 6 who carried Halifax Steve into the Crematorium at midday today and there are people there who never/rarely miss a game who through their unselfishness have stayed to honour Steve. He would have got the hump with me if I'd have stayed cos he would have wanted representation down at Swindon and that's what some are doing. Well done everyone who was there and well done to all the brilliant people who made it possible through their hard work, donations and support. ( 11 straight league wins since Halifax passed away). R.I.P. Steve.

City played at Carlisle in December 1983, and I recall travelling on a mini bus from Whaley Bridge as though it was yesterday. My Mate’s in-laws had a hotel in Penrith and by sheer coincidence, the village was hosting York City in the FA Cup.

Any regrets?
Nope!

Well said mate.

Any regrets?
Nope!

Wonderful post. Brilliant read.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.