We need defenders who can defend

The best defence we had was in Mancini's title season which was down to having the best defender in the league, Lescott, and the best defensive midfielder NDJ.

Since Txiki came in we seem to look on defending as something quite vulgar in the same way that swinging in a cross from a free kick near our opponents area would be. Individually we have first class defenders but they don't seem well drilled. The best defence in the world is not the one that contains the 4 best defenders.

We need an old fashioned stopper to do the dirty work - get his head on everything, clear crosses, put his foot in - ideally someone in the mould of Lescott. Every time I see Shawcross play I can't believe we don't try to buy him.

What we'll probably get is Stones who fancies himself as half Cruyff half Beckenbauer. He doesn't strike me as the kind of defender who loves the art of defending which is what we need

Yes, every time I watch Stones I can't say I come away impressed. But to be honest I'd be surprised if Everton sold him anyway. But we can do better.

Otamendi suffers from the same disease that Mangala and Vinny suffer from i.e the burning need to win the ball at all costs and to overcommit in terms of stepping out of their designated position to do so.

It's a manager's job to train that out of them

You sure about that? Otamendi is perfectly positioned? I don't think so my friend. Otamendi steps out to Valencia who Delph is tracking, Delph in turn tries to cover him, at the same time Ota tries to recover his own position which leaves Valencia completely unmarked.

In the system Pellegrini wants us to play, Otamendi is absolutely right to step out to Valencia whether Delph is tracking his run or not. It's a high risk strategy to win possession back quickly.

In the system Pellegrini wants us to play, Otamendi is absolutely right to step out to Valencia whether Delph is tracking his run or not. It's a high risk strategy to win possession back quickly.

Is this a joke?

Is this a joke?

Think about it. Otamendi sees Yaya with a 5 yard head start on Kouyate, he has to trust him not to get beaten one v one. Kouyate only has one other option, the ball into Valencia's feet. So Otamendi steps out to block intercept that potential pass.

Yaya does his job, that goal doesn't happen.

Think about it. Otamendi sees Yaya with a 5 yard head start on Kouyate, he has to trust him not to get beaten one v one. Kouyate only has one other option, the ball into Valencia's feet. So Otamendi steps out to block intercept that potential pass.

A 5 yard headstart? Wtf are you talking about?

Yaya is 5 yards away from Kouyate, he shouldn't ever be beaten one v one with that distance between them.

This still is the moment just before Kouyate takes the ball by Yaya. As he kicks the ball Otamendi steps out leaving a gaping hole behind him.

34shumd.jpg

I'm not letting Yaya off, he certainly has part responsibility but Delph was quite right to try and fill the gap at the near post where Otamendi should have been. Otamendi gambled, I'm not convinced that was worth a gamble in the first minute, also surely by now Otamendi has had time to assess Yaya's defensive frailties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.