Weiss

He's 20, 21 in November.

Currently I see him as the natural replacement for SWP who will be 29 this month. Whether he pushes on to be a 1st team pick or becomes a squad player or even gets pushed out is up to him and his development over the next couple of years. It also may depend on whether he wants regular 1st team football.

We need to keep players like these even if they only become squad players due to a) keep nurturing talent and make sure this is seen so we can keep attracting the top youngsters and b) European home-grown rules and c) keep purchases down over time, we do have to balance the books somehow.

FWIW, although raw he looks like he can make it - my main comment from what I have seen of him is he needs to look up more and improve that decision-making on whether to pass or run with the ball.

pee dubya said:
He was ok, stands out like a sore thumb in the Rangers team because he's the only one with a bit of flair and really genuine natural ability, but he also gave the ball away in some dangerous areas and flits in and out of games.

I think by far and away the biggest thing he needs to improve though is his movement off the ball. So often you see him just standing watching the play, not doing anything. Truly class players will be moving constantly dragging defenders around, making space for the other attackers, running into space etc. Weiss only seems to come alive when he gets the ball into feet.

It's not just tonight i've noticed that, saw the same thing in the World Cup when he played for Slovakia, spends too much time standing still. You can get away with it in the SPL or in youth/reserve football, but not when you reach the Champions League/International level, it's an area he really has to improve on if he wants to make it at the top level

Spot on as usual.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.