Well done Aleks...

Surprised that little or nothing about Kolarov not getting a look-in. Clichy was a non-factor and pretty shaky defensively yesterday - far from the first time that has happened. I think this idea that Clichy >> Kolarov defensively is a combination of urban myth and ancient history. Kolarov has made some important defensive plays at crucial times this year and is no worse overall. But we definitely missed his seering runs down the left and pinpoint crosses particularly in the second half when we had total control (imagine if he had been squaring that ball to Silva ...) And also a free kick in the first half on the edge of the box.

lasereyes said:
Surprised that little or nothing about Kolarov not getting a look-in. Clichy was a non-factor and pretty shaky defensively yesterday - far from the first time that has happened. I think this idea that Clichy >> Kolarov defensively is a combination of urban myth and ancient history. Kolarov has made some important defensive plays at crucial times this year and is no worse overall. But we definitely missed his seering runs down the left and pinpoint crosses particularly in the second half when we had total control (imagine if he had been squaring that ball to Silva ...) And also a free kick in the first half on the edge of the box.

Clichy makes more tackles, clearances and interceptions than Kolarov (although this is influenced by the kind of opposition he is often deployed against) and is much better at maintaining possession. I still prefer Kolarov in general but I can understand why Clichy was chosen yesterday (and why he and Kolarov are pretty much neck-and-neck for starts this season, 16 to 17).

FromPollockToSilva said:
lasereyes said:

Clichy makes more tackles, clearances and interceptions than Kolarov (although this is influenced by the kind of opposition he is often deployed against) and is much better at maintaining possession. I still prefer Kolarov in general but I can understand why Clichy was chosen yesterday (and why he and Kolarov are pretty much neck-and-neck for starts this season, 16 to 17).

I didn't see much of any of that yesterday TBH. And I've often seen Clichy dispossessed. Take a look at the winning goal in the Derby last year which had a rather similar pattern to yesterday's game.

I'll be very surprised if Kolarov isn't back in the starting line-up for the rest of the season now that winning all our remaining games is a must. Stats don't tell the whole story and the evidence of my eyes is that Clichy's form has been on a generally downhill trend since we won the title while Kolarov has improved markedly this season.

lasereyes said:
FromPollockToSilva said:
lasereyes said:

I didn't see much of any of that yesterday TBH. And I've often seen Clichy dispossessed. Take a look at the winning goal in the Derby last year which had a rather similar pattern to yesterday's game.

He had a bad game, but so did a number of our players. There was still some logic behind his selection.

Clichy's lack of height resulted in him flicking the ball back into a dangerous area in the lead up to Liverpool's winner. However, Clichy's pace will likely see him get the nod over Kolarov, but it may be that both share duties from here on in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.