Were you happier when City were in league 2 ?

TFC said:
I wasnt happy that we were down there, but we made the most of it. Had a fooking ball traveling around the lower league grounds, no matter what the result, we always got pissed up and had a right laugh.

As an outsider and for what it's worth, I think if you could reproduce the kind of support that you gave to the team during those "dark times" and give your team the same kind of backing right now, you might well be on the cusp of greatness.

No doubt you'll take my comments as a sly dig, but it's just an honest observation from someone who has seen how great your support can be.

Yes because I was about 5 with no worries or responsibilities :D
But in terms of City, I don't take anything for granted now because I was brought up with City being absolutely wank.

I had some great times in the lower divisions, have some quality memories of those god awful grounds and crowds.

But it was all relative, there wasnt a day before then, a day during then, and a day since that i would not have given my right arm to have been playing in the top flight. And as a few have said, memories can be short, especially when they are bad memories, there was some fucking horrible days when the 'ever present' famous City sense of humour was no where to be seen.

Much like it has always been since i started going in 76.

Perhaps that's it......the fans felt like they were needed and the bunker spirit prevailed. It felt like we were all in it together.

City don't need us so much now they've weathered the storm. It's all one-sided...
[sob]

Bring back that loving feeling
Oh, that loving feeling
Bring back that loving feeling
Now it's gone...gone...gone...
And I can't go on...
No-oh-oh...

anyone who says yes needs the brain examining. seriously, it was a shit division, with shit teams and shit players. we were a national joke. dont let foggy eyed nostalgia get in the way, was a terrible time in our history andi didnt enjoy it one bit.

There are days when i miss Maine Road, i miss sitting in the proper Kippax, i miss singing "North Stand give a song" - and actually being able to hear them sing back, i miss turning up to a game knowing you are going to thrash the opposition and then walk away with a 5-0 win....

There are lots i miss about those days but i don't miss the constant ridicule (and not by Rags, but from Bury/Oldham fans FFS!!!) I dont miss being a laughing stock. i dont miss getting beat by York....

And then you go to COMS and see how far we have come. Look at what we have now - a stadium worthy of holding cup finals, billionare owners, world class players, famous european manager, reaching semi-finals of competitions.

I wouldn't change what we have now for anything - in fact what we have now means so much more because we lived through those "good ole days".

Hmmm, excellent question.

One thing i can state for certain is that i was much less annoyed by other supporters and pretend fans back then. The press were much kinder to us and neutrals everywhere admitted to having a soft spot for City.

Much happier, what a season! I remember the first game v Blackpool @ Maine Road sold out seeing the ground full and the atmosphere. I was bursting with pride that day so proud to be a blue, one of my best City moments. Who will ever forget the play off's semi's and final.

Judging by the reaction on this board after every game (even the victories), I'd say the majority of members were happier in the Second Division than they are now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.