What are city players worth?

Of course it’s an inexact science and I’ve no idea how reliable or otherwise the algorithms used to calculate the values are. And when you get a bidding war like the Caceido nonsense of the last week with two clubs both unable to back down, all sense of reality can go out of the window.

They worth every penny we paid for them. It's been very rare that we had some bad signings but we crucially get it right majority of the time.

We are a clever club knowing we don't get played by other clubs who try to get every penny from us and we play hard on negotiations and walk away when we realise the transfer fee they want is ridiculous.

We are a clever club knowing we don't get played by other clubs who try to get every penny from us and we play hard on negotiations and walk away when we realise the transfer fee they want is ridiculous.
Yeah but Eni whatshername said we only bid for Rice to help Arsenal get him. I'm surprised City didn't respond to those allegations.

Seemingly Laporte, Cancello & Bernado aren't worth what I imagined so I guess players are only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

It’s a pretty un scientific game guessing what someone’s ‘worth’ really isn’t it?

Easy to say if player A has gone for £x and player B is twice as good as him, he must be worth £x times 2.

Doesn’t work like that though. Contract length, nationality, age, buy out clauses, sell on clauses, potential sell on value and an infinite number of personal circumstances relating to individual players. How desperate a club is to buy. How desperate a club is to sell. How much serious competition there is for a player. How desperate a player is to move. At all or to a specific club.

Any number of these factors could combine to make a player ‘worth’ more than another player who’s boots he isn’t fit to lace.

My values chart is with the players saying they want to leave, Real Madrid wanting to buy them (not Saudi), and they have the money like they used to… that’s my marker for these prices. Oh and all players have 4 years left on contracts:

Ederson - 50m
Ortega - 30m

Walker - 20m
Gvardiol - 80m
Laporte - 30m
Akanji - 45m
Stones - 60m
Dias - 75m
Ake - 60m

Foden - 170m
Bernardo - 80m
De Bruyne - 75m
Grealish - 90m
Kovacic - 35m
Rodri - 120m
Phillips - 40m

Haaland - 250m
Alvarez - 75m

The obvious answer is whatever the individual player's contract dictates + whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

But even in the abstract it's really hard to work out what elite players would cost. We are now part of an elite buying group of clubs of about five or six, but we generally don't sell our very best players to them and they don't sell their best players to us.

I'm trying to work out when the last time a reasonably settled player at the peak of their contract and reputation moved from one to another: Neymar?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.