What are City playing at?

fbloke said:
I think we would all like to see City throw a few punches but at the moment I sense that the Board and owner(s) have decided that a softer approach is necessary.

The 'Henry Winter of Discontent' was very much on the back foot after the Mancini presser, and I am told that City reminded a few publications of their obligations of evenhandedness.

Winter is, after what I saw and heard this AM on Sunday Supplement, very much part of the City fightback in a very subtle way> Even the dickhead Custiss was having a real go at him with digs about Marwood etc.

What I see happening is that the papers that are more journalistic in their approach are being fed and watered by City and the quality of those pieces will stand the test of time.

The other papers that lets not forget NEED to create sensationalism in order to sell, and are found in most toilets are being marginalised and don't like it.

If you get the chance to re-watch the bit where Winter and Custiss are talking about CIty it is interesting to see the trap being laid by Winter.

He gets Custiss to talk in terms of short-termism, he puts in the age of the squad and the English players we have.

Because Cusitss would argue with himself for the sake of ego it is now there for us to see, the agenda.

There are very,very strong indications that City are going to give Mancini 2 seasons and will live with a bad season this year. They can now say that it is what is expected of a balanced club and a well managed one.

As TH has said we are buying now for a number of seasons and as such the 'splurge' has provided ammunition to the Custiss's of the world but also primed the gun for the fightback.

I would say that patience is a virtue for all of us and I would also expect Cook, Mancini, Marwood and Khaldoon to be all over the broadsheets (and the friendlier tabloids) making the agenda.

It might even be that CIty talk about the gutter press and the lack of knowledge of such journalists?

How could Custiss respond if City in building success also prove how little he understands the club?

I get angry with the short term reactionary shit in the papers but think the only way that can change is to have other things to report.

It may just be the Academy, the age of the squad and the long term vision once the developments are announced?

I dont mean to gloat but the 5 Live stuff tonight fits my prediction dont you think? ;-)

fbloke said:
fbloke said:
I think we would all like to see City throw a few punches but at the moment I sense that the Board and owner(s) have decided that a softer approach is necessary.

The 'Henry Winter of Discontent' was very much on the back foot after the Mancini presser, and I am told that City reminded a few publications of their obligations of evenhandedness.

Winter is, after what I saw and heard this AM on Sunday Supplement, very much part of the City fightback in a very subtle way> Even the dickhead Custiss was having a real go at him with digs about Marwood etc.

What I see happening is that the papers that are more journalistic in their approach are being fed and watered by City and the quality of those pieces will stand the test of time.

The other papers that lets not forget NEED to create sensationalism in order to sell, and are found in most toilets are being marginalised and don't like it.

If you get the chance to re-watch the bit where Winter and Custiss are talking about CIty it is interesting to see the trap being laid by Winter.

He gets Custiss to talk in terms of short-termism, he puts in the age of the squad and the English players we have.

Because Cusitss would argue with himself for the sake of ego it is now there for us to see, the agenda.

There are very,very strong indications that City are going to give Mancini 2 seasons and will live with a bad season this year. They can now say that it is what is expected of a balanced club and a well managed one.

As TH has said we are buying now for a number of seasons and as such the 'splurge' has provided ammunition to the Custiss's of the world but also primed the gun for the fightback.

I would say that patience is a virtue for all of us and I would also expect Cook, Mancini, Marwood and Khaldoon to be all over the broadsheets (and the friendlier tabloids) making the agenda.

It might even be that CIty talk about the gutter press and the lack of knowledge of such journalists?

How could Custiss respond if City in building success also prove how little he understands the club?

I get angry with the short term reactionary shit in the papers but think the only way that can change is to have other things to report.

It may just be the Academy, the age of the squad and the long term vision once the developments are announced?

I dont mean to gloat but the 5 Live stuff tonight fits my prediction dont you think? ;-)
You gloat you were spot on. People on here get stick for moaning and ITK stuff so when people get something spot on they should get a pat on the shoulder

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/26/brian-marwood-manchester-city-spending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... y-spending</a>

Apologies if already posted. Marwood makes a few interesting comments about the media and our spending

Brian Marwood, Manchester City's football administrator, has led a robust defence of the club's spending policies in the face of Sir Alex Ferguson's claims of "kamikaze" spending.

Marwood, the second in command at Eastlands behind the chief executive Garry Cook, described as "laughable" the allegation that City had paid exorbitant sums. Asked about Ferguson's remarks, Marwood said: "There are a lot of things that people are misinformed about without knowing the true facts. We try to educate people about what is happening here but it has become laughable some of the comments that have been made about the club.

"People working here know what is going on, they know the direction we are heading and I am confident we will reach those goals. "We have fast-tracked the investment and maybe what would normally take five or 10 years we have done much sooner. But we are extremely fortunate that we have the owners to invest their time and money into the club. Eighteen months ago we were fighting a relegation battle. The club and the team needed this investment."

City have spent £126m this summer to bring in six players, taking the total sum of the transfers sanctioned by the Abu Dhabi United Group to £325.5m.

"To play in the Champions League in the next four or five years, this will keep us at the very top of European football," Marwood said. "It's a bizarre market. If you look at James Milner for example, the price is what it is - Aston Villa would not sell for any less. But I believe we are investing in the future of the club. Milner, for example, will only get better.

"Nobody has ever condemned Manchester United or Chelsea when they have spent money in the past because they have brought in quality and we think we have brought in quality to take us to the next level."

Marwood said Emmanuel Adebayor would not be leaving but he was evasive when asked about reports that Milan had been talking to Robinho as a possible back-up option if they fail to sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Barcelona.

"It's just reports at the moment," he said. "I would not call Robinho a misfit. He lit up Eastlands at times but there are other factors. The Premier League is not an easy environment even for a man with his talent."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.